Protein: 220g a Day?!

Hell of a lot of good feedback here fellas. Thanks!

My goal currently is to lose 5-10 more pds of bodyfat. My bodyfat % is around 20% or so and at 220, Id like to atleast get around 210 or 215. As much as many may say “What?! Weight loss?! Start eating more! Bulk!” - I still want to slim down for another month or two.

Now my body has done some major changing already - however, I still got this tire around my gut! Thats really the last of it. I’ll be participating in a Carnival parade this year and would really like to slim down a little more. You know… jumping… jiggling… people laughing… that kind of thing. haha

However, after Carnival I plan on taking on a serious plan (that was presented in one of my first posts), starting to phase out Bowflex usage and go free-weights, and of course… eating big!

Oh yeah, other problem is I wont be in the US for a month or so. So when there I can finally get ahold of some good products… like HOT-ROX, protein shake powder, etc. (Cant get that stuff here easily)

T-Islander

Hey guys, time to break out of the 80’s. :wink: Did anyone read the exchange between Dr.'s Phillips and Berardi?

1g/lb is okay, but when it’s the difference between someone working out or giving up because the task is too daunting, you gotta bend your dogma a little.

I saw a similar situation with a friend of mine and his GF. She wanted to start working out using leg press, but he insisted on squats. She hates doing squats but he couldn’t let go of Forum dogma. Guess how long she worked out for. The point is: start slow and then work up to a more “demanding” level.

T-Islander, I suggest a minimum of 1.4g/kg to start, then work up if you can.

Of course we’re all “badasses” for consuming 1g/lb, but you gotta tailor the suggestion to the person.

BAD DOGMA!

[quote]bomberlow wrote:
20 grams a day! Surely you get more than that on a vegan diet?! What are you eating two nuts and a salad leaf?

• Note -
    “Sufficient protein is needed to cover the daily nitrogen losses in the urine, feces, skin, hair, nails, perspirations, and other secretions. These losses amount to roughly 23 grams of protein a day.” Doh! [/quote]

hmmm well it’s a vegetarian diet, i do put milk or yogurt in my shake with one scoop of protein powder. i guess the numbers only reflect my supplemental protein intake… here’s what i basically eat every day:

one large plate of mixed salad, one large plate of vegetable stew and a little rice…(i try to use protein rich foods like red or white kidney beans, or maybe lentils, etc 3 times a week at least.)

that’s it. one meal a day at 7 p.m. (after the workout). At 11-11:30 p.m i have a shake made of yogurt/milk + one scoop protein powder, flax seeds, and maybe a couple bananas or apples or both if i have any around.

i’m quite happy with it. it’s a vegetarian variation on the Warrior Diet, with less food (the warrior diet requires an overeating phase at night to work correctly, i usually fail to do that, so i could be making more gains if i try to stuff myself)… but i’m satisfied with my progress as it is… if ever i hit a plateu i might add a bit more protein or make sure i overeat at night… been 3 months however this way and im quite happy.

WHAT!!!

20 grams a day. You shittin me. if you drink like one V-8, you get five grams. You telling me you get a quarter of your daily intake in one small assed drink. Man. Honestly. If you eat chick peas, you have more than that. Some serious label watching and counting is in order. I’m pretty sure you get more than that.

Anyways, it’s not hard to get 220 at all.

Let’s go over my meals, and this isn’t very strict:

Oatmeal and Grow! shake: 42g
snack: bar and veggies; 16g
Post-workout: Surge: 20g ( I work out at lunch)
lunch: tuna + bread+ yogurt: 57
snack: cottage cheese and mixed nutz: 29
dinner: Chicken breast salad, cheese-approx 50g
bedtime snack: cottage cheese and Natural PB: 24g

That’s 238 for a guy who weighs 190. So, I’m more than covered and that’s not too hard to get my man. Plus, after the gym, I feel like I want to eat a horse. Even with Surge cursing through my stomach.

It’s not tough, just spread it out, you’ll get used to it b/c you rbody will get used to feeding frequently throughout the day and will expect some food intermittently.

Best of luck,

T