T Nation

Protect Your Neck

From Lloyd Irvin (yeah, yeah, I know; it’s still good shit, which is why I’m passing this along):

I was paralyzed from a judo throw.

As I laid on the ground and couldn’t move my arms or legs, I started thinking about my family, my life, my son and what it was going to be like to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

This is exactly what I was thinking after I got thrown on my head in a Judo tournament in 2003.

Talk about a scary experience.

After spending the next year off the mats, doctors telling me that life as I knew it would never be the same again. Doctors telling me that I need to have spinal fusion the very next day(don’t forget that this was in 2003).

After this injury the entire martial arts community reached out to me and the support was tremendous.

People from all over the World were sharing their neck injury stories with me, what they did to recover, what different types of procedures they had and all kinds of alternative strategies.

Then I started to realize how many people in the grappling
World get neck injuries. No one shared this with me when
I first started. I then started asking myself questions.

Why don’t people in the grappling/mma World condition their necks more? I know that I didn’t.

Then I met a guy name Jim Kelly whose neck injury was just down right sad!

He BROKE HIS NECK, he had complications for years, the doctors
told him that if his neck wasn’t so strong he would be dead’. You have to see the story that they wrote in the news paper about him.

But now they call it a ‘miracle’ that he’s back to training, competing and plans on doing a mma fight.

Anyway the reason that I’m writing you is because you need to know the truth about the sport you’re involved in.

You need to understand that protecting your spinal cord and it all starts with protecting your neck.

Well Jim has set up a website where he’s giving away information on how to protect your neck. How to use simple exercises to make sure that you don’t end up in a wheelchair.

I sure wish that I knew about this when I first started.

I never knew the importance of building a strong neck until I suffered my injury and was forced to.

Well Jim is on a mission to help as many people learn how to protect their necks, if you grapple, do mma or are involved in any contact sport, you owe it to yourself to see what Jim is teaching.

It won’t cost you a single dime and Jim is really passionate about this topic.

So go Discover How To Protect Your Neck at the site below:
http://www.nomoreneckproblems.com/

Thanks for this, CL. My husband was almost killed in a mountainbiking accident last year when he went over the bars & landed on his head. He still has neck problems from it.

Also, I’ve only been punched in the face really hard by a guy a couple of times while training, but both times it was my neck that was killing me the next few days. I’m sure this will help.

Before I started BJJ and Muay Thai I did neck training, but it was always a tack-on, maybe a few sets a week.

After getting locked in a Thai clinch, and subsequently being unable to move my head w/o pain for 3 days, made me realize that I needed to make neck training a priority.

Do you train at wolfpack bjj?

Not really a sports-related injury, but I was in a car accident recently, and I got whiplash/cervical strain and now my neck won’t bend correctly. I’ve always trained my neck, and at 17, it was almost 18", so I’m thankful I thought to start it a long time ago. The doctor said it would’ve been much worse if my neck wasn’t so strong.

I subscribed to his newsletter and have been pleased so far. Not trying to sell anything, just giving some good tips.

Thanks for sharing that.

How, as a grappler, have people NOT been training neck? I know I did constantly–the coaches required it.

Yeah my Kru makes me do 200 neck curls with weight held using my teeth plus a load of neck exercises off the ring. Combine that with clinch training and the neck strengthens up quickly.

Great stuff! Just started training my next 4 weeks ago, saw that I looked weak in that area/traps. Bridgeing, shrugs of many kinds. And there’s a good one on here that Christain T. wrote for training the neck.

So vital, yet not too many spend the few mins. that it takes. IT COULD SAVE ONES LIFE!

We always warm up the neck, because we tend to roll over the neck in BJJ.
I alwasy try to do some excersises.

I also subscribed and it seems to be pretty good.

I realize that this is an old thread, but I have been looking for good info on neck strength and as someone who never wrestled did not know a whole lot about bridges. In addition to Jim Kelly’s emails I found this link helpful so I thought I would post it here. Some good video clips of progressions.

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2008/10/neck_bridge_progression.html

I realize that this is an old thread, but I have been looking for good info on neck strength and as someone who never wrestled did not know a whole lot about bridges. In addition to Jim Kelly’s emails I found this link helpful so I thought I would post it here. Some good video clips of progressions.

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2008/10/neck_bridge_progression.html

Good reminder I need to start working the neck hard again. It also it the best thing to protect your brain from strickes and prevent being knocked out.

[quote]JerzyJames wrote:

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2008/10/neck_bridge_progression.html[/quote]

That’s a pretty cool site. Favorited! Thanks!

I don’t compete anymore (too damnned old), trained in Hapkido (and TKD) and one thing’s for sure, if you have any weaknesses, your opponent/assailant WILL find them. Neck and grip don’t get near the emphasis in training that they should.

Thanks again!
HH

Headhunter,

What are your favorite grip exercises? I am doing a lot of wrist rollers, farmers walks and heavy deads. My grip has gotten quite a bit stronger, but I’m always interested in other ideas. I agree with you that grip and neck strength often get overlooked.

[quote]JerzyJames wrote:
Headhunter,

What are your favorite grip exercises? I am doing a lot of wrist rollers, farmers walks and heavy deads. My grip has gotten quite a bit stronger, but I’m always interested in other ideas. I agree with you that grip and neck strength often get overlooked.[/quote]

I’m not a combat sports guy, but was just scrolling through here and saw this thread. Thibaudeau’s “Keep Your Chin Up” program (search the site) has a good hands/forearms workout that I’ve been doing the last two weeks. CoC grippers, newspaper folding, forearm roller.

Love it. I’ve been wondering what I’ve been missing.