T Nation

Prostate Health

I was wondering if any of you guys at Biotest/T-Mag have any thoughts on the effects of tribulus terrestris products (such as TRIBEX and Alpha Male) on prostate health. The reason I ask is that I’m 30 and have been taking TRIBEX lately (and have used Alpha Male and M in the past), but have a bit of a family history of prostate cancer. My Dad had it at age 61 (he had surgery for it and is now fine) and his older brother had it in his mid-70’s (he had hormone therapy and is also now fine). Do I need to be avoiding these products? Thanks in advance.

[quote]Damici wrote:
I was wondering if any of you guys at Biotest/T-Mag have any thoughts on the effects of tribulus terrestris products (such as TRIBEX and Alpha Male) on prostate health. The reason I ask is that I’m 30 and have been taking TRIBEX lately (and have used Alpha Male and M in the past), but have a bit of a family history of prostate cancer. My Dad had it at age 61 (he had surgery for it and is now fine) and his older brother had it in his mid-70’s (he had hormone therapy and is also now fine). Do I need to be avoiding these products? Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Well, first, as discussed in a previous thread, the entire issue of not only what exactly can initiate prostate cancer in relation to hormone levels and what then helps to maintain the cancer, so to speak, is still open for debate. With that being said, the risk in respect to using compounds which stimulate endogenous testosterone production, versus the use of exogenous testosterone, is far less in my opinion, as would be expected and in fact, it’s been confirmed indirectly. Anyhow, I could really go on and on about this, so I’ll keep it short. It appears you have a history of prostate cancer in the family, so if you absolutely wanted to side with caution, I would avoid using any products which stimulate endogenous testosterone production. I honestly don’t think it’s as simple of a matter to say yes or no absolutely, but I suppose this would be a case where I’d say you’re better safe than sorry…but even that reasoning, in this case can be questioned. I guess my final answer is, don’t take them until we know more.

Cy,

Thanks very much for your quick and thorough response. Sounds fair enough, given what’s known and what isn’t known. Thanks again.

Cy,

One followup question: would taking M along with Tribex be likely to lessen any potentially negative effects on the prostate?

Thanks again.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Cy,

One followup question: would taking M along with TRIBEX be likely to lessen any potentially negative effects on the prostate?

Thanks again.[/quote]

Well, see, that’s what I meant in the previous post. There’s just not enough data to come to any certain conclusions. If we were certain that estradiol is the main initiator for hormone-dependent prostate cancer, then yes, I’d say to do such a thing, but the fact is that we don’t know that for certain.