Pros and Cons on This Split?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Heres an example. DOnt do exactly this. I like a lot of volume and I can handle it at this point.

When I train chest once a week while gaiing I do

preexahus with Pec Deck 3-4 sets none to failure 8-20 reps ramping the weight
incline barbell or incline dumbell press 4 sets ramped
flat db press 3 sets ramped
seated low cable flys 3 sets ramped
finish with more pec deck or a different fly machine 3-4 sets

If I train chest twice a week Ill still preexhaust the same both days but one day will be 2 presses and 1 fly the other day will be 2 flys and 1 press. Second day is usually HS iso incline, some form of cable fly and some sort of machine fly. 3-4 sets for each ramped weight [/quote]

Thanks for the example. Looking at that it seems you have a “heavier” and “lighter” day, just from exercise selections. What I get more interested in lately is the learning curve guys with years of experience have taken. For example you say that you respond well to a lot of volume. What leads you to add or drop exercies / sets in your overall plan or even workout by workout? How can you tell whether you’re stalling in progress from say diet / recovery factors, or if your workout itsslf is too taxing and needs adjustment?

As a personal example the 3 exercises for chest i’ve given above just sit exactly right with me at the moment for a number of factors. They’re done in the 6-8 range. But for back the routine is high pulley cable pullovers; close grip pulldown; db rows; high cable rows; partial deadlift. These are all 8-10. Progress is very limited, sometimes being worse week by week. Im trying to work out whether 5 exercises is simply too much, or if its diet / recovery, or both! the same recovery gives me progress weekly on the chest though. are there any factors or hints you can give to watch out for, so that i can learn from what im doing and feeling for future plans.

thanks for your posts

[quote]Beast69 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Heres an example. DOnt do exactly this. I like a lot of volume and I can handle it at this point.

If I train chest twice a week Ill still preexhaust the same both days but one day will be 2 presses and 1 fly the other day will be 2 flys and 1 press. Second day is usually HS iso incline, some form of cable fly and some sort of machine fly. 3-4 sets for each ramped weight [/quote]

Very nice example, might have to put this sort of idea into my training so I can hit stuff twice a week.
With you being able to handle the volume and judging from you pre-exhuasting at the beginning of the work owt and your pics and wealth of knowledge you must be pushing some serious weight. Just wondering, what sorta weights are you doing for the major lifts you do ?

Sorry for thread hijack, just interested and I’m sure we’d all like to see what the big man is up to.[/quote]

Im not a strength freak by any means. Past few months some PRs have been 115lb db for 12 on low incline press. 280lbs on the lat pulldown for a strict 10 reps. umm 8 plates + 20lbs on the HS dip machine for 7 reps I think. I cant erally remember anything else. I dont really care about how much weight I lift any more and to be honest Id rather find ways to stimulat the muscle better without getting a lot stronger. But Im pretty happy with what I look like at this point. Basically my strength gains are right in line with my goals at this point. Maintenance, lol.

[quote]uklifts wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Thanks for the example. Looking at that it seems you have a “heavier” and “lighter” day, just from exercise selections. What I get more interested in lately is the learning curve guys with years of experience have taken. For example you say that you respond well to a lot of volume. What leads you to add or drop exercies / sets in your overall plan or even workout by workout? How can you tell whether you’re stalling in progress from say diet / recovery factors, or if your workout itsslf is too taxing and needs adjustment?

As a personal example the 3 exercises for chest i’ve given above just sit exactly right with me at the moment for a number of factors. They’re done in the 6-8 range. But for back the routine is high pulley cable pullovers; close grip pulldown; db rows; high cable rows; partial deadlift. These are all 8-10. Progress is very limited, sometimes being worse week by week. Im trying to work out whether 5 exercises is simply too much, or if its diet / recovery, or both! the same recovery gives me progress weekly on the chest though. are there any factors or hints you can give to watch out for, so that i can learn from what im doing and feeling for future plans.

thanks for your posts[/quote]

Theres no single thing that lets you know when your workout is too long or too short or has too many intesity techniques (super sets, drop sets, rest pause etc). You just have to figure it out.

Theres no need to do every exervise in the same rep range just for the sake of it. The most effective way to get better at this is to figure it out for yourself instead of reading things online hoping they work.

One thing that I think gets overlooked a lot, but has really helped me regardless of what type of training I’ve done, is to find a training partner that’s kind of competitive and will call you out if you’re not giving it your all on any given day.