T Nation

Props to Al Sharpton!

I really don’t care for al sharpton. But I will give him respect when it is due to him. I guess more credit should be given to Earl Graves but it is still an interesting story worth discussion:

Sharpton: Griffin Dropped for Dropping N-Bomb
Posted Sep 4th 2007 5:30PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Wacky and Weird

Eddie Griffin thought he’d shock the swells at a big Black Enterprise event over the weekend by littering his act with N-words, but the comic was the one who got the real jolt when the mag’s owner gonged his routine, and tossed him off the stage!

Rev. Al Sharpton tells TMZ that Griffin took the stage as the headliner and did his best Michael Richards impression, blistering the mostly African-American crowd with a barrage of N-bombs, and wailing, “Why are some black leaders telling us to stop using the N word?”

Griffin’s mike was promptly cut, and Black Enterprise owner/publisher Earl Graves stomped on stage and proclaimed, “We … will not allow our culture to go backwards … We will pay Mr. Griffin all that we owe him but we will not allow him to finish the show if that’s the way he’s going to talk.” Oh, snap!

The crowd gave Graves a standing ovation – and Rev. Al, speaking the next day at the event, gave Graves props for his axing of Griffin. A rep for Griffin had no comment.

How is this props to Sharpton? He didn’t do anything but try to get publicity for something he had absolutely nothing to do with…

Actually i feel the opposite. For 2 reasons.

1. OMG Eddie Griffin used the N-word!?!?!?!
    Did they know who Griffin is. It smells like a setup to me.

2. With all of the problems going on in our community. Crime, violence, terminal lack of jobs, education, drugs…and so on…these folk declare war on a WORD! With all of the power and influence that they are supposed to have, this is how they use it. They are going to stop the use of a word. What a pompous self important group.

Al at his best:

http://humor.netscape.com/story/2007/03/25/al-sharpton-sings-barack-the-magic-negro/

[quote]emdawgz1 wrote:
Actually i feel the opposite. For 2 reasons.

1. OMG Eddie Griffin used the N-word!?!?!?!
    Did they know who Griffin is. It smells like a setup to me.
    …[/quote]

Quite possible.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Al at his best:

http://humor.netscape.com/story/2007/03/25/al-sharpton-sings-barack-the-magic-negro/[/quote]

Thats not sharpton. It’s Rush limbaugh doing his non racist humor

[quote]emdawgz1 wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Al at his best:

http://humor.netscape.com/story/2007/03/25/al-sharpton-sings-barack-the-magic-negro/

Thats not sharpton. It’s Rush limbaugh doing his non racist humor[/quote]

Actually, its a guy named Shanklin, after a dude for the LA Times called Barack a ‘magic negro’, a derogatory term from the 1960s, when ‘guilty’ white libs would trot out some black man and assuage their ‘guilt’.

Earl Graves is a respectable business man who I’m certain had no involvement in booking the entertainment. Someone on his staff clearly made an error in hiring griffin and once he got up there, graves shut him down, as he should have.

anybody familiar with Graves and Black Enterprise probably understands that this wasn’t the type of crowd that was going to allow this minstrel show nonsense. Griffin nor his comedy is representative of the majority of black people. Period.

i’m glad graves had the sensibility to reflect how many of us feel about griffin’s brand of ``comedy.’’ it really goes way beyond just the use of the N word. If griffin wants to act like a fool then im sure VH1 will give him a show and all his fans can get good chuckle there.

also i’m not sure what sharpton has to do with this other than allowing you to post a funny picture and take shots at him. sharpton just happened to be the next speaker on stage.

Trust me Al Sharpton and Co had a lot to do with it. His mouthing off every day for the last 2 years despite even black people screaming for him to shut up had more of an impact on Earl Graves getting up then that one night listening to and Eddie Griffin Comedy special.

As a Black Enterprise reader I am not surprised that Griffin got his punk ass kicked to the curb. Black Enterprise is like the black persons Forbes.

This might surprise some of you but not all of the wealthy successful blacks in America have made their fortunes through professional sports or entertainment.

Black Enterprise always has stories about black people who have made successes of themselves in business. Black Enterprise is the magazine that represents that section of the community.

To someone who has gone to college, gotten an education, started a business, or is running a major corporation, that style of we’re all ignorant and uneducated ghetto humor is an embarrassment.

Robo1 has it right. That was not the audience that was going to appreciate a minstral show. You are talking about respectable people here. The kind who don’t have to humiliate themselves to make a buck.

I think this shows how limited in talent Griffin is that he couldn’t keep his act out of the gutter.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
As a Black Enterprise reader I am not surprised that Griffin got his punk ass kicked to the curb. Black Enterprise is like the black persons Forbes.

This might surprise some of you but not all of the wealthy successful blacks in America have made their fortunes through professional sports or entertainment.

Black Enterprise always has stories about black people who have made successes of themselves in business. Black Enterprise is the magazine that represents that section of the community.

To someone who has gone to college, gotten an education, started a business, or is running a major corporation, that style of we’re all ignorant and uneducated ghetto humor is an embarrassment.

Robo1 has it right. That was not the audience that was going to appreciate a minstral show. You are talking about respectable people here. The kind who don’t have to humiliate themselves to make a buck.

I think this shows how limited in talent Griffin is that he couldn’t keep his act out of the gutter.[/quote]

1. Comparing BE to forbes is not quite on the mark. (imho)
    As a reader of both, BE lacks the “hard news” edge and quality of reporting that forbes has. BE is a fine magazine in it’s own way, but its no forbes.

2. I’m someone who has gone to college, got an aducation, and started several businesses. Eddie Griffin is a quality comedian. His humor is a bit vulgar for my tastes.

But the time to reject him is BEFORE he performs. Were all of these people shocked at what they heard. What did they expect? They booked Eddie Griffin!

It just seems like a grandstand move to me. What?!? He said the N-word?!? Get off my stage! Would they book 50 Cent and throw him out as well?

Would they be suprised that McDonalds serves fattening food? The Klan has racist members?
???

I agree and disagree with you dawg although it would be nice if they didn’t book him in the first place its hard when most of the people booking him are not fans.

I doubt they knew how much he uses the N-Word, plus his act was about using it which put even more emphasis on it. They probably would not have said anything if he did it once or twice but when he laced his entire act around it, they probably had enough.

It’s the same with rap, whenever my parents try to be cool they act like they like rap and listen to a song on the radio. Then they ask me to make a cd for them with that song on it not realizing I have an uncut version. They expect one or two “Motherfuckers”, but when the song has it throughout every verse I can see their faces cringing and turning pale.

People love to push limits nowadays but theres only so much they can take. I’ve seen Eddie Griffin perform acts with less vulgarity and still be funny, the problem is right now thers a battle raging between the younger black population and the older.

Its bad luck for crashing that Enzo.

I can never take Al Sharpton seriously. Its like taking Don King seriously. I’m curious to see if this will start a fire or just be a flicker when it comes to the black entertainment community “cracking down” on the N-word.

Yeah its unfortunate a lot of Al Sharpton’s good intentions gets lossed in his presentation, but if he chooses to be stupid and continue who am I to knock him. At least he is standing up for himself and his people more than anybody else. A few flaws aren’t bad.

I fucking hate the guy. IMO he is a racists bigot.

BTW this would be more suited for Politics and World Issues forums.

This is obviously the work of The Man and Mr. Feather.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Yeah its unfortunate a lot of Al Sharpton’s good intentions gets lossed in his presentation, but if he chooses to be stupid and continue who am I to knock him. At least he is standing up for himself and his people more than anybody else. A few flaws aren’t bad.[/quote]

Good intentions my ass. His only “intention”, ever, is to get publicity for himself. I’m sure he really thought the women’s basketball team were scarred for life by a comment from someone they never heard of. He never has good intentions.

A few years ago there was a group of black kids that started a riot at a high school football game. Naturally they were kicked out of school, but he goes down there and protests that they were kicked out because they were black, not because of the whole riot thing which could easily have injured/killed people. He’s a joke.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

He may be all that but he is funny.