T Nation

Proposal: A Powerlifting Gear Guide?

IF there happened to be a powerlifting T-cell, that would be a great place for something like this.

It may be kind of optimistic to think that everyone will offer unbiased opinions though, as some people get pretty gungho about their brand or brands of gear but it’s worth trying.

We have a lot of guys trying different stuff, so I’d be happy to contribute.

[quote]JimMcD wrote:
It may be kind of optimistic to think that everyone will offer unbiased opinions though, as some people get pretty gungho about their brand or brands of gear but it’s worth trying.
[/quote]

That’s a good point, but as long as people were upfront on what they use (and/or if they are sponsored) you could still take things at face value.

[quote]kk1977 wrote:
I’ve got a gear question re: the metal IPF squatter. I’m a dive bomb squatter in single ply, train pretty much old school progressive overload, I don’t sit back much but more of opening my groin. I get less carry over out of the titan nxg than I used to from a Z-suit or the old marathons. Guess I’m just not sitting back enough, but after almost 20 years I don’t really want to change my squat form.

How’s the rebound in the metal suits? and has anyone else who doesn’t really sit back in a squat had any experience with them? [/quote]

Hopefully this is the type of answer this thread could be for lots of other people.

The Inzer Hardcore is a much more rebound suit than any single ply Titan. Titan is a dead stop suit, that is it will stop you at a a certain height. i think the Crain and the Inzer single plys will serve you better dive bomb style. If you dive bomb in a dead stop suit you need to focus more on holding your arch and body angle than pushing your butt back.

Good luck

jack

[quote]jackreape wrote:
kk1977 wrote:

I’ve got a gear question re: the metal IPF squatter. I’m a dive bomb squatter in single ply, train pretty much old school progressive overload, I don’t sit back much but more of opening my groin.

I get less carry over out of the titan nxg than I used to from a Z-suit or the old marathons. Guess I’m just not sitting back enough, but after almost 20 years I don’t really want to change my squat form.

How’s the rebound in the metal suits? and has anyone else who doesn’t really sit back in a squat had any experience with them?

Hopefully this is the type of answer this thread could be for lots of other people.

The Inzer Hardcore is a much more rebound suit than any single ply Titan. Titan is a dead stop suit, that is it will stop you at a a certain height.

I think the Crain and the Inzer single plys will serve you better dive bomb style. If you dive bomb in a dead stop suit you need to focus more on holding your arch and body angle than pushing your butt back.

Good luck

jack

[/quote]

I’m kind of confused here. I lifted at 153 (I was actually 150), I was in a z-suit meant for a 165 pounder. I got 50ish pounds of carryover. If I’m not getting any rebound out of the hole with a titan, how is it going to help?

[quote] Matt wrote:
I will contribute as well. I own and have used tons of different gear as I like to try stuff out to see what I like best. I have I think around 10 bench shirts, 4 pair briefs, and 8 suits. Single and double, poly denim and canvas.[/quote]

The land of the Misfit Toys, lol. :slight_smile:

“I’m kind of confused here. I lifted at 153 (I was actually 150), I was in a z-suit meant for a 165 pounder. I got 50ish pounds of carryover. If I’m not getting any rebound out of the hole with a titan, how is it going to help?”

guys who really sit back and use almost a box squat type form without the box will get more out of a “dead stop” type suit. the suit will act like the box and literally stop you in the hole.

I’m more of a straigt up and down squatter who bounces off my calfs and needs rebound/reversal help out of the bottom, usually the rebound comes from a stretchier material.

The dead stop titan doesn’t really help me since I don’t sit back or need to be stopped. the nxg is the only “new generation” suit i’ve tried, i’ll give the hardcore a try, thanks

Jack

I 'll be glad to put in my 2 cents. In the past 3 years, I have bought and used(or used on borrow basis):

Inzer Champion
Metal ProSquatter
Titan Centurion
Titan Boss Suit
Metal Ace Suit
Titan Boss Briefs
Inzer Predators
Metal Deadlifter
Inzer Black DD
Inzer Blue DD
Inzer Ultimate Denim
Inzer Rage X (single)
Titan F6 (single)
Inzer EHPHD (1 ply, 3 ply and 4 ply)
Inzer Phenom (2 ply)
Inzer Super Phenom
Metal Viking Pro Bencher
Titan Katana (2-ply)
Every type of knee wrap on the market.

I think the only thing I have never tried has been a canvas suit.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
I 'll be glad to put in my 2 cents. In the past 3 years, I have bought and used(or used on borrow basis):

Inzer Champion
Metal ProSquatter
Titan Centurion
Titan Boss Suit
Metal Ace Suit
Titan Boss Briefs
Inzer Predators
Metal Deadlifter
Inzer Black DD
Inzer Blue DD
Inzer Ultimate Denim
Inzer Rage X (single)
Titan F6 (single)
Inzer EHPHD (1 ply, 3 ply and 4 ply)
Inzer Phenom (2 ply)
Inzer Super Phenom
Metal Viking Pro Bencher
Titan Katana (2-ply)
Every type of knee wrap on the market.

I think the only thing I have never tried has been a canvas suit.[/quote]

4-ply Inzer EHPHD? I can only imagine the bruising and torn-up skin. What are your thoughts on the various Inzer denims and Viking Pro Bencher? I’ve only ever used the regular Pro (not a bad shirt) and the Bash (not a fan).

Question for you experienced gear heads:
Where and when do I start using gear? The federation I am in allows 1 ply suits and of course wraps and belts. I am way more comfortable with just a belt, but the competition in Women’s Masters I are geared to the teeth in my fed.

Also I’m really new at this and haven’t tried more than knee wraps at this point, although my PL club is trying to get me into a shirt for the bench. I feel like I have to start getting into gear. My first comp date is late September and the Provincials will be late November. Any advice would be welcomed.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
jackreape wrote:
kk1977 wrote:

I’ve got a gear question re: the metal IPF squatter. I’m a dive bomb squatter in single ply, train pretty much old school progressive overload, I don’t sit back much but more of opening my groin.

I get less carry over out of the titan nxg than I used to from a Z-suit or the old marathons. Guess I’m just not sitting back enough, but after almost 20 years I don’t really want to change my squat form.

How’s the rebound in the metal suits? and has anyone else who doesn’t really sit back in a squat had any experience with them?

The Inzer Hardcore is a much more rebound suit than any single ply Titan. Titan is a dead stop suit, that is it will stop you at a a certain height.

I think the Crain and the Inzer single plys will serve you better dive bomb style. If you dive bomb in a dead stop suit you need to focus more on holding your arch and body angle than pushing your butt back.

Good luck

jack

I’m kind of confused here. I lifted at 153 (I was actually 150), I was in a z-suit meant for a 165 pounder. I got 50ish pounds of carryover. If I’m not getting any rebound out of the hole with a titan, how is it going to help?[/quote]

Zep,

Get a tighter Hardcore!

Great idea. I have just bought myself and Inzer Rage X and Hardcore, so just starting out with gear. I would love to hear other opinions about the different products out there.

[quote]perksy wrote:
Great idea. I have just bought myself and Inzer Rage X and Hardcore, so just starting out with gear. I would love to hear other opinions about the different products out there.[/quote]

Welcome to the Dark Side

[quote]jackreape wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
jackreape wrote:
kk1977 wrote:

Good luck

jack

I’m kind of confused here. I lifted at 153 (I was actually 150), I was in a z-suit meant for a 165 pounder. I got 50ish pounds of carryover. If I’m not getting any rebound out of the hole with a titan, how is it going to help?

Zep,

Get a tighter Hardcore!
[/quote]

I was planning on the centurion. What exactly is going to give me the best carryover? Can you tell by the way I raw squat? Or is it because I got a decentish carryover in a loose, old stype suit?

[quote] Matt wrote:
I will contribute as well. I own and have used tons of different gear as I like to try stuff out to see what I like best. I have I think around 10 bench shirts, 4 pair briefs, and 8 suits. Single and double, poly denim and canvas.[/quote]

Cheater…

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
jackreape wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
jackreape wrote:
kk1977 wrote:

Good luck

jack

Zep,

Get a tighter Hardcore!

I was planning on the centurion. What exactly is going to give me the best carryover? Can you tell by the way I raw squat? Or is it because I got a decentish carryover in a loose, old stype suit?[/quote]

My raw squat is very oly style, quick descent w/ feet about shoulder width.

My equippped squat’s TOTALLY different. Wider stance, sit back loads and do it quite slowly. That works really well with my centurion. Don’t be afraid to experiment with diffferent styles while raw and equipped.

There’s a definite correlation between my close stance raw squat and wider stance equipped one.

[quote]dianab wrote:
Question for you experienced gear heads:
Where and when do I start using gear? The federation I am in allows 1 ply suits and of course wraps and belts. I am way more comfortable with just a belt, but the competition in Women’s Masters I are geared to the teeth in my fed.

Also I’m really new at this and haven’t tried more than knee wraps at this point, although my PL club is trying to get me into a shirt for the bench. I feel like I have to start getting into gear. My first comp date is late September and the Provincials will be late November. Any advice would be welcomed.[/quote]

Listen to your training partners and heed their advice. They train with you and will know you and what’s best for your lifting far better than anyone on the Internet.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
Matt wrote:
I will contribute as well. I own and have used tons of different gear as I like to try stuff out to see what I like best. I have I think around 10 bench shirts, 4 pair briefs, and 8 suits. Single and double, poly denim and canvas.

Cheater…[/quote]

hahahaha, squat high!

[quote]novaeer wrote:

4-ply Inzer EHPHD? I can only imagine the bruising and torn-up skin. What are your thoughts on the various Inzer denims and Viking Pro Bencher? I’ve only ever used the regular Pro (not a bad shirt) and the Bash (not a fan).[/quote]

Actually, it is a very confortable shirt- even worn tightly. Good pop, easy to touch in. Its not a lot different than using a 2ply EHPHD- it just holds it’s shape a lot longer.

Denim did not work well for me. It seemed like no matter how I altered the shirts (or grew to fill them out), I never got a lot of pop out of the material. It just slowed the bar on the way down and eased it up a couple inches on the way up.

The Viking was similar for me. For all the difficulty I had touching in mine, it should given me a lot more pop. The mystifying thing about these shirts is how short they are. You are hard pressed to keep your belt on the shirt. I don’t get it - I thought folks were tall in Scandinavia. Maybe they just make the shorty shirts for export.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Actually, it is a very confortable shirt- even worn tightly. Good pop, easy to touch in. Its not a lot different than using a 2ply EHPHD- it just holds it’s shape a lot longer.

Denim did not work well for me. It seemed like no matter how I altered the shirts (or grew to fill them out), I never got a lot of pop out of the material. It just slowed the bar on the way down and eased it up a couple inches on the way up.

The Viking was similar for me. For all the difficulty I had touching in mine, it should given me a lot more pop. The mystifying thing about these shirts is how short they are. You are hard pressed to keep your belt on the shirt. I don’t get it - I thought folks were tall in Scandinavia. Maybe they just make the shorty shirts for export.[/quote]

The Pro is short, also, and I’ve heard of a few people adding material at the bottom to have something to pull down on and secure with the belt. The Bash, however, is long and actually goes as far down as a really oversized t-shirt would.

[quote] Matt wrote:
PublickStews wrote:
Matt wrote:
I will contribute as well. I own and have used tons of different gear as I like to try stuff out to see what I like best. I have I think around 10 bench shirts, 4 pair briefs, and 8 suits. Single and double, poly denim and canvas.

Cheater…

hahahaha, squat high![/quote]

The only way to squat… :wink: :slight_smile: