Proper Strap Usage

I used straps today for the first time today for chins and deads. The strange thing was that the straps seemed to take my forearms out of the equation and made the lifts more difficult.

Is this possible or am I using the straps incorrectly?

Maybe this will help:

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Maybe this will help:

[/quote]

Hm, that’s exactly how I did it, even had the straps facing the right direction.

I guess I’ll just keep trying to get used to them so I can determine if they will be useful for me.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Maybe this will help:

Hm, that’s exactly how I did it, even had the straps facing the right direction.

I guess I’ll just keep trying to get used to them so I can determine if they will be useful for me. [/quote]

I remember the first few times I used straps, it didn’t feel quite right and I’m was going to stop using them. Eventually, I did get the technique down and noticed a difference with them.

Also, depending on the straps, there can be a small break-in period with them.

I kinda figured it might be an issue of experience. I bought the cheapest cotton ones, BTW.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
I kinda figured it might be an issue of experience. I bought the cheapest cotton ones, BTW.[/quote]

You will get used to it…
as for the cotton ones they are fine… however if you do heavy weight, they will start to tare and need to replace them couple of times per year…

[quote]inthego wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
I kinda figured it might be an issue of experience. I bought the cheapest cotton ones, BTW.

You will get used to it…
as for the cotton ones they are fine… however if you do heavy weight, they will start to tare and need to replace them couple of times per year…[/quote]

Thanks, got two pairs actually I’ll keep at em.

[quote]inthego wrote:
beebuddy wrote:

You will get used to it…
as for the cotton ones they are fine… however if you do heavy weight, they will start to tare and need to replace them couple of times per year…[/quote]

This is true and if you’re finding that you’re replacing your straps frequently, then you’ll probably want to get something a little higher quality. I always recommend APT straps if you decide to ‘upgrade’.

first time i used them - extra reps right off the bat. fucking love them.

APT has good straps I hear. I just bought a pair locally at a sports store that are like nylon with rubber lining on the inside for grip, those babies work great.

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:
[/quote]

yea, i wouldnt be able to pull 415lbs without straps. shit i cant pull 365lbs without em.

only obvious downfall is that they take so much away from the forearms.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
Joe Joseph wrote:

yea, i wouldnt be able to pull 415lbs without straps. shit i cant pull 365lbs without em.

only obvious downfall is that they take so much away from the forearms. [/quote]

True… but as a bodybuilder - it isnt too imortant, as long as you train them a bit to ensure the size is there… then it doesnt matter if they are weak, as long as they are strong enouh to deadlift 405 etc.
i doubt i’ll ever need to go much beyond this for hypertrophy… more reps obviously though.

I love them, the gains they have brought my back and traps, i simply would not have gotten if i was held back behind my grip. My forearms would be bigger but i wouldnt be able to handle the weights i am “naturally” IMO.

:slight_smile:

The straps should be going in the same direction as your thumb.