Proper Rack Chin Form

In all the videos of rack chins that I’ve seen shows them being done with the body closer to horizontal then to vertical, is this the right form? I would think ideally you would want your torso to be as close to vertical as possible to best hit the lats. Is there something I’m missing here?

SHITTY FORM. SHITTY FORM. SHITTY FORM.

Rack Chins with 65lb Dumbell - DC Training - YouTube Do them like this.

Lats are recruited from many angles. A vertical torso doesnt necessarily mean more lat involvement. Yates rows hit the lats pretty damn hard, for example.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Rack Chins with 65lb Dumbell - DC Training - YouTube Do them like this. [/quote]

So would I be correct in assuming the slow negative is more important than the way up?

I mean, based on the last few reps, he kind hops up to descend slow. Not that I would be doing that from rep 1.

(And thanks again for all your help before man, it’s like a whole new world)

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Lats are recruited from many angles. A vertical torso doesnt necessarily mean more lat involvement. Yates rows hit the lats pretty damn hard, for example.

[/quote]

I guess I should have been more specific. I meant that I thought being more vertical would promote more lat width, whereas being more horizontal would promote lat thickness. Is this a wrong assumption?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

So would I be correct in assuming the slow negative is more important than the way up?

[/quote]
No, they are both important, I’d say the concentric portion from the full stretch is the most important. DC, and BB training in general, always tries to somewhat control the descend. This guy is doing that, albeit more than others, it’s just how this guy personally controls his bodyweight.

[quote]JHK wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[/quote]

I guess I should have been more specific. I meant that I thought being more vertical would promote more lat width, whereas being more horizontal would promote lat thickness. Is this a wrong assumption?[/quote]
It really depends on the exercise. In my experience, wide grip lat pulldowns work my mid-back moreso than my lat width. But, neutral/close-grip pulldowns work my lats more. In the case of a BB row, like Yates style, they work very well for overall lat development, even if they are used primarily for back thickness.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[/quote]
No, they are both important, I’d say the concentric portion from the full stretch is the most important. DC, and BB training in general, always tries to somewhat control the descend. This guy is doing that, albeit more than others, it’s just how this guy personally controls his bodyweight. [/quote]

Hmm. There is the school of thought that a fast turnaround is the most important part (or going from a dead stop explosively) and then you get the “positive is only there to allow you to milk the negative” -way of thinking. Probably largely the same thing in the end…

A negative doesn’t have to be “slow”. Just controlled. Try a (quick) 4-count in your head on each negative, for example (though I wouldn’t bother on deadlifts). Just so you aren’t just letting the weight fall on the negative or, like many do on Alt. Curls, simply forget about the arm on the negative and already focus on the other.

Check some footage of Dorian Yates’ Blood and Guts DVD (youtube → Dorian Yates part5 or 6 or so, you see him doing one-arm machine rows with a somewhat slowish negative and explosive positive… You don’t have to go that slow on the negative, but it’s a very good example imo of how to do your reps).

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[/quote]
No, they are both important, I’d say the concentric portion from the full stretch is the most important. DC, and BB training in general, always tries to somewhat control the descend. This guy is doing that, albeit more than others, it’s just how this guy personally controls his bodyweight. [/quote]

Hmm. There is the school of thought that a fast turnaround is the most important part (or going from a dead stop explosively) and then you get the “positive is only there to allow you to milk the negative” -way of thinking. Probably largely the same thing in the end…

A negative doesn’t have to be “slow”. Just controlled. Try a (quick) 4-count in your head on each negative, for example (though I wouldn’t bother on deadlifts). Just so you aren’t just letting the weight fall on the negative or, like many do on Alt. Curls, simply forget about the arm on the negative and already focus on the other.

Check some footage of Dorian Yates’ Blood and Guts DVD (youtube → Dorian Yates part5 or 6 or so, you see him doing one-arm machine rows with a somewhat slowish negative and explosive positive… You don’t have to go that slow on the negative, but it’s a very good example imo of how to do your reps).
[/quote]

I read an interview with Dorian Yates yesterday, and this is a quote from it: