T Nation

Proper Progression to Lower Reps

I am intending to get back into weight training the second week of May. I have not been lifting since mid-January (rep range 4-6). Since then, I’ve been doing very high rep calisthenics throughout the day, 2-3 days per week.

I intend to follow a bodybuilding style plan which I?ve used in the past from the Body Sculpting Bible for Men. This program is a 6 week cycle, in two week segments. The reps are at the high end, with weeks 1-2 at 13-15 (2 sets); weeks 3-4 at 10-12 (3 sets); weeks 5-6 at 8-10 (4 sets).

It mentions in a section on calisthenic travel workouts that if one were to do those during travel times, they should resume the program at weeks 3-4, since high reps have already been done. Is this okay for me, or should I do a week of 13-15 reps to condition my connective tissues a little more (since it’s been a few months since my last iron session)?

I actually am thinking I?ll modify it though, by dropping the reps to: weeks 1-2 at 10-12; weeks 3-4 at 8-10; weeks 5-6 at 6-8.

Still though, would it be okay to start at 10-12 and continue with how I?ve modified it, or should I do a week at 13-15?

your change is fine and really very minimal nothing to stress over

Phill

Ditto Phill.

Also, what is the author’s reasoning for only spending 2 weeks in a given rep range? You could easily go 3-4 weeks without fear of plateauing. Just curious.

Says that it takes about two weeks to adapt, then results will slow or stop.

As I stated above, I’ve used it before and really responded well to it as it was laid out. I’m wondering if I’ll respond better by dropping the reps.

I have been, however, thinking I will modify how often I stay in a given range.

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
Says that it takes about two weeks to adapt, then results will slow or stop.

As I stated above, I’ve used it before and really responded well to it as it was laid out. I’m wondering if I’ll respond better by dropping the reps.

I have been, however, thinking I will modify how often I stay in a given range.
[/quote]

I’ve never stopped making progress in a given rep range after only two weeks. Maybe that’s the case for some people, but it’s never been my experience. The only way to know is to try it, and let us know.