T Nation

Proper Powerlifting Bench Press?

Any tips or guidelines?

So far all I know about it is:

1. Squeeze and attempt to break the bar (recruits more triceps)
  2. Keep your elbows close to your side
  3. Maintain a lower back arch

Thoughts?

Dave Tate does a very good job talking about the major points in this article:

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/supplements/bench_press_600_pounds_a_12_step_program&cr=supplements

He does recommend driving the bar in a straight line, and I think that’s a matter of preference. Many people prefer to drive the bar back towards their head.

He also doesn’t talk about leg drive. Once you have your arch set, you want to squeeze your glutes and drive your heels into the floor. It will help maintain your arch throughout.

Elbows are tucked in, but you don’t have to go overboard and try to touch them to your sides. 45 degrees to the body is probably a good starting point, and then adjust accordingly.

Read the article and then come back with any questions.

Is there any more specific effective triceps exercises recommended to help boost the bench press? What are the JM presses mentioned in the article?

[quote]Mondy wrote:
Is there any more specific effective triceps exercises recommended to help boost the bench press? What are the JM presses mentioned in the article?[/quote]

JM press instructional. I love these.

[quote]AssClown wrote:
Mondy wrote:
Is there any more specific effective triceps exercises recommended to help boost the bench press? What are the JM presses mentioned in the article?

That video is one of my favorites. You can tell he is a good coach.

Other good triceps movements include close grip presses, board presses, rack lockouts (pin presses), floor press. You will probably get the most benefit from pressing variations. Not a lot of carryover from pushdowns and the such, however they are useful from a recovery standpoint. If my elbows are feeling beat up, I will throw in 2-3 sets of 20 rep pushdowns or band pushdowns just to get the blood flowing.

[quote]AssClown wrote:
Mondy wrote:

Dang - I’ve been doing those waaaaaay wrong. Gonna have to drop the weight substantially to keep form like that.

Raw or shirted?

much of the bench is in the approach: before the lift…listen to some good metal and then piss on the rack…just so “they” know

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Raw or shirted?[/quote]

If it was shirted I’d hope to god he wouldn’t be asking this.

Raw bench and thanks for the info!