T Nation

Proper Lunge Form

Do your knees go past your toes during a lunge?

They do if you want more quad involvement.

Keep knee behind the heel for more glute hamm.

I like knee forward version with front foot raised.

Never, ever allow your knee to go past your toe. Or so I have read about 100 times.
It puts extra pressure on the petala. Which is the bump on your knee when you straighten your leg.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Never, ever allow your knee to go past your toe. Or so I have read about 100 times.
It puts extra pressure on the petala. Which is the bump on your knee when you straighten your leg.[/quote]

I’m assuming you are referring to the tibial tuberosity as the bump on you knee?

The patella is simply the knee cap.

Allowing the knee to drive past the toe puts stress on the patella tendon, which is the tendon that runs from the bottom of the patella and attaches on the tibial tuberosity. Too much stress will lead to a tendinitis.

I prefer not to allow the knee to drive past the toe. I don’t think the risk to benefit ratio is worth it. If you develop an overuse injury like patella tendinitis, it can set your training back by months.

i got this from the poliquin pontificates article:

“Here’s one for that annoying personal trainer at your gym who has an aneurism whenever he sees your knee travel past your toes during a lunge or split squat: tell him to climb up a flight of stairs and see how often his knee travels past his toes.”

Its still your call though.

My knee is either right at the toe or just past it. Doing that along with full knee extension at the top helps build up the VMO (the teardrop lookin’ muscle right above the knee, good for knee stability).

[quote]sloh wrote:

“Here’s one for that annoying personal trainer at your gym who has an aneurism whenever he sees your knee travel past your toes during a lunge or split squat: tell him to climb up a flight of stairs and see how often his knee travels past his toes.”

Its still your call though.[/quote]

thank you buddy, i spent twenty minutes looking through articles cuz i remember i read this, but never found it.

[quote]sloh wrote:

Its still your call though.[/quote]

When your climbing up a flight of stairs do you have 35 pounders in each hand?

sloh wrote:

When your climbing up a flight of stairs do you have 35 pounders in each hand?[/quote]

Or 65 pounders?

sloh wrote:

When your climbing up a flight of stairs do you have 35 pounders in each hand?[/quote]

Agreed. Also, there is a fine line between the knee directly above the toe, and the knee traveling beyond that point. The trick is to know your body, and what you can handle.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
DanErickson wrote:
sloh wrote:

Or 65 pounders?
[/quote]

Wow, 65 in each hand, that is alot of weight. My grip strength is definetly impeding me in my lunges.
I refuse to use a barbell for that type of movement, as sometimes i lose my balance when doing the exercise.

dhuge67 wrote:
DanErickson wrote:
sloh wrote:

Or 65 pounders?

Wow, 65 in each hand, that is alot of weight. My grip strength is definetly impeding me in my lunges.
I refuse to use a barbell for that type of movement, as sometimes i lose my balance when doing the exercise.
[/quote]

We used to do farmers walks around the gym out the door down the stairs and back up with 94.6lbs in one hand and 88lbs in the other.

Wouldnt it be wise to start the knee forward lunges with no weight and slowly increase? Just like any other exercise.

How is is worse than 1 legged squats or even deep weigthted squats.

The leg extension is much more harmfull to the knee from what i understand about the sheer forces and stress to the ACL.