Proper Iodoral Dosage

Hi Guys,

I read the Thyroid sticky and I’m confused about the dosage of Idodral. I have Iodoral which consists of Idoine - 5mg and Iodide (as potassium salt) 7.5mg which comes to 12.5mg for Total Iodine/Iodide.

Am I supposed to take 50mg (4 pills) or just one pill daily?

Thanks for your help!

4 is for “loading”, if you can tolerate it. Some folks can’t tolerate the full 50mg/day - GI issues, etc… Personally, I did one tablet in the AM and one in the PM for a month - 6 weeks. Now I take a 1/2 tablet in the AM daily.

[quote]catfish74 wrote:
4 is for “loading”, if you can tolerate it. Some folks can’t tolerate the full 50mg/day - GI issues, etc… Personally, I did one tablet in the AM and one in the PM for a month - 6 weeks. Now I take a 1/2 tablet in the AM daily.[/quote]

Isn’t 1/2 tablet daily dangerous?

KSMan said that he didn’t recommend that high of a dose once you get past the loading stage. And there are people who after a while develop problems (hypo/hyperthyroidism) due to high dosage in iodine.

Think he said he takes a half a tab every two weeks.

Oh boy. How long is the loading stage suppose to last? 6 weeks? How do you know when to stop?

Directly from the sticky about thyroid by KSMan

[quote]So lets say one needed to take in 0.75 grams if iodine for IR. How many days would it take to intake 0.75 grams with the RDA of 150mcg. Simple, 0.75 grams /0.00015 grams per day = 5000 days. But over 5000 days you would loose most of that and for all intents and purposes, the RDA will never fix ID.

For IR you can take up to 50 mg iodine per day and get .75 grams in two weeks. I did that and started to feel better in 2-3 days. Some health food stores will have high potency iodine supplements. Many get a product called Iodoral from internet stores which is 12.5 mg iodine. Iodine was a common disinfectant in every home years ago. Rarely seen now. It was applied to cuts etc. But that stung and fell out of favour. So in large doses such as 50mg, it starts to kill of some of the bacteria in your gut. That can cause some disturbances for some, farting and loose stools etc. After a while I had that problem and skipped the iodine for a day then went on with a lower dose. So you can do something similar as needed. [/quote]

So 50mg/day for two weeks for IR. Or, if symptoms occur from the high dosage during IR, one can prolong the IR phase by taking a smaller dosage or taking days off.

After that is just maintenance, during which a total of 12.5mg/month is fine. So half a tab every two weeks.