T Nation

Proper Deadlift Foot Placement?

what part of the foot is the bar over when you deadlift conventional?

personally for me right over my toes or the balls of my feet. Might read some of the article here on DLing like precision pulling and the like also Eric Cressey’s recent DL series

Phill

This depends on the build of the lifter and what works best.

Many larger lifters will have the bar start out towards the toes(bar is maybe 4-5 inches from shins) because this will allow them to pull the bar up and back.

I start with the bar right up by my shins and usually always scrape my shins as i pull because i pull back and keep the bar close to my body.

So you’ll have to experiment but stick with what allows you to keep the bar close to your body, don’t let it get out in front of your body because you will sacrifice leverage, move less weight, and risk tweaking your back.

[quote]Phill wrote:
personally for me right over my toes or the balls of my feet. Might read some of the article here on DLing like precision pulling and the like also Eric Cressey’s recent DL series

Phill[/quote]
thanks phill i read that article i didnt see it,sorry.i just watched the elite squat and dead dvd and they say the same thing so i have been doing deads wrong(bar against shins shoulders over bar)so i should be pulling up and back correct?

balls of your feet should work. just put your feet in a postion so that when you’re holding the bar and starting to sit back your shoulders are tracking behind the bar.