T Nation

Proper Breakfast for Strength/Muscle Gains

okay so I’ve pretty much been training according to an E-book by Zach Even Esh called “Freak Strength”.

since I only have a 300lb weight set, some 30lb bells, chains, a sled and a sandbag. and so my training so mostly Olympic lifts, sandbag lifts, sled dragging for conditioning and lots of Heavy Deadlift variations. also I’m much hungrier than normal obviously and I was wondering what would be a good breakfast so that I see the desired strength/muscle mass gains from training. I know to not eat crap/fast food and to eat roasted meats, eggs, fruits, vegetables, lots of water, the occasional protein shake for pre and post workout recovery but if there’s any info I need to know about proper nutrition for strength that I didn’t cover please let me know!

[quote]WABWSM wrote:
I was wondering what would be a good breakfast so that I see the desired strength/muscle mass gains from training![/quote]

A good breakfast should be big full of carbs and protein. Best combo for me I find is 3 caps fish oils, 5 slices of bacon, 3 whole eggs, egg whites, and english muffin topped with butter.

What does your breakfast currently look like?

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
WABWSM wrote:
I was wondering what would be a good breakfast so that I see the desired strength/muscle mass gains from training!

A good breakfast should be big full of carbs and protein. Best combo for me I find is 3 caps fish oils, 5 slices of bacon, 3 whole eggs, egg whites, and english muffin topped with butter.

What does your breakfast currently look like?
[/quote]

Why would someone eat bacon and butter at breakfast, but use only 3 whole eggs with egg whites for the rest?

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:
Best combo for me I find is…

Why would someone eat bacon and butter at breakfast, but use only 3 whole eggs with egg whites for the rest?[/quote]

I enjoy bacon more than eggs. Again I said this is something that I eat and is just an example. Everyone is different when it comes to eating as well, I’m a very finicky breakfast eater. Furthermore, I find it hard to eat large amount of food at one time so I have to increase the frequency I eat at with small meals.

I’m no Professor X who eats a dozen eggs at one sitting, if I recall a post of his correctly.

oats, milk and a scoop of whey blended to make a quick breakfast.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

I’m no Professor X who eats a dozen eggs at one sitting, if I recall a post of his correctly. [/quote]

i think it was 11eggs and one egg white. you know, b/c that one yolk’ll get ya

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

I’m no Professor X who eats a dozen eggs at one sitting, if I recall a post of his correctly.

i think it was 11eggs and one egg white. you know, b/c that one yolk’ll get ya[/quote]

There it is.

i had 10 eggs for breakfast and a whole wheat bagel crammed with natty pb.

Right now I’m at about 7 eggs and 1/3 pound of bacon.

I’m also more than a little carb-phobic. Breakfast is a good time to down carbs, It’s just not my bag, baby.

Also, squats can be jury-rigged by using a pair of saw-horses. It’s a bitch and a half, but you’ll probably develop a 300lb DL long before you get a 300 lb powerclean, and the squats will tide you over until in the mean-time.

I’ve been throwing this in the blender:

~32oz. Orange Juice (24oz. in the blender at first, and another 8oz. to rinse any remnants off the sides after you down the whole thing)
3 scoops strawberry protein powder (~75 grams)
1 Cup Oatmeal
1 Large banana (I usually just eat mine separately though)

It’s been working pretty well so far and it’s quick and easy.

I eat a pound of rice, 9 eggs and a small bucket of orange juice.
Goes down nice.

on non-school days- a can of baked beans (425 grams), 3-4 eggs, about 3 brekky sausages, 3-4 rashers of bacon, and some flax seed meal stirred into the baked beans, along with a glass or two of orange juice or milk, usually a handful or two of almonds shortly after too. on school days, a bacon and egg roll or a chicken schnitzel burger, thankfully school is over now, can get far more srious with training. A bigger guy like you would probs want to chuck a couple more eggs in there at least, and maybe some more carbs. also I have fish-oil capsules. hope that helps, I’m 6’3" and 200 lbs, so you should easily manage that. good luck with your goals

My “Supershake” breakfast at the time:

Water
Organic Yogurt
Natural Peanut Butter
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Superfood
Metabolic Drive
Walnuts

Blend together and drink. Good mix of healthy fats, fiber, and a good dose of protein.

Hmm, some awesome shake ideas in this thread. I gotta try some out. Quick question, would you guys suggest P + F breakfast or P + C breakfast? Does this all depend on what time your workouts would be?

It doesn’t matter. I-An-I. Like, really, it doesn’t matter. Breakfast is a great time to down some carbs, but PeriWO is like ten times better. Also, I’m beginning to suspect the whole P+F/P+C thing is highly, highly overrated. Lots of protein, healthy fats, and slow-digesting carbs. Having toast with your eggs isn’t gonna hurt your waistline.

My breakfast on off lifting days is a blended shake:

85g whey isolate
5g leucine
1 cup blueberries
1 cup oats
5g creatine

blueberries replenish liver glycogen and supply fast acting carbs
oats give me sustained carbs
whey gives me readily available amino acids
leucine sparks muscle synthesis

[quote]IAgainstI wrote:
Hmm, some awesome shake ideas in this thread. I gotta try some out. Quick question, would you guys suggest P + F breakfast or P + C breakfast? Does this all depend on what time your workouts would be?[/quote]

p+c

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
IAgainstI wrote:
Hmm, some awesome shake ideas in this thread. I gotta try some out. Quick question, would you guys suggest P + F breakfast or P + C breakfast? Does this all depend on what time your workouts would be?

p+c[/quote]

I’d agree P+C preferably, although I’m kind of hypocritical with mine being mainly P+F. If your body (or muscle/liver to be exact) needs glycogen, I don’t believe it matters much whether you would get it at breakfast or lunch, you shouldn’t be completely depleted anyway, and even with insulin sensitivity naturally falling through the day, if your body needs some, it shouldn’t be stored as fat anyway if that is your concern.

At home, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt. (I’m currently trying to lose fat, if I was seriously bulking I’d probably eat an animal of some sort too).

Today, because I was at a hotel (and hungry), eggs, sausage, bagel, fruit.

throw in a multivite and half of my day’s fish oils. And some sweet sweet caffeine.

8 eggs large eggs and 4 slices of shredded ham made into an omlette
Topped with one large avocado.

Three slices of whole wheat bread on the side.

Oh my god its good.