Proof We're Not Knee-Jerks

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

-sure, ban marijuana and steroids and whatnot, as long as you ban and persecute poss./use of alcohol, cigs, sugar etc. Would be awesome to watch.

[/quote]

Sure, all drugs/sugar are the same. Because I consume sugar I’m a hypocrite for wanting heroin to remain illegal. Good Lord, what nonsense![/quote]

I’m wondering if there are any viewpoints stereotypically considered “progressive” or “liberal” with which you agree, Sexmachine. [/quote]

Nope. Although it’s a matter of degree. I’m not an extremist in any of my beliefs.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

“liberal”[/quote]

I’m assuming you mean “liberal” in the modern sense - i.e. neo-liberalism. I have much in common with classical liberalism, however neo-liberalism is far removed from that.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

“liberal”[/quote]

I’m assuming you mean “liberal” in the modern sense - i.e. neo-liberalism. I have much in common with classical liberalism, however neo-liberalism is far removed from that.[/quote]

Yes, as we use the terms today.

Abortion should have less incentives.

No fault divorce is a curse on the modern world and stifles true equality.

Gay marriage is cool as long as they don’t try to force Churches to marry them.

There should be very harsh penalties on illegal immigration, including instant deportation.

Prison penalties should be harsh, and prison life should be harsher (quality of living).

Pro-gay marriage.
Pro weed legalization.
Want god out of the schools.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Pro-gay marriage.
Pro weed legalization.
Want god out of the schools.[/quote]

Uh, I think you missed the point. It’s support for things people wouldn’t ordinarily associate with your perceived ideology, not things that fit your perceived ideology.
So if you are ordinarily conservative, you express the more liberal side of you. If you are ordinarily liberal, you express the more conservative side of you…

[quote]Makavali wrote:

There should be very harsh penalties on illegal immigration, including instant deportation.

Prison penalties should be harsh, and prison life should be harsher (quality of living).[/quote]

You’re comin’ around… :slight_smile: I believe in you Mak, your a smart guy.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:
Pro-gay marriage.
Pro weed legalization.

Uh, I think you missed the point. It’s support for things people wouldn’t ordinarily associate with your perceived ideology, not things that fit your perceived ideology.
So if you are ordinarily conservative, you express the more liberal side of you. If you are ordinarily liberal, you express the more conservative side of you…[/quote]

I’m very conservative. Have voted straight ticket R every election but one in my life.

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:
Pro-gay marriage.
Pro weed legalization.

So if you are ordinarily conservative, you express the more liberal side of you. If you are ordinarily liberal, you express the more conservative side of you…[/quote]

I’m very conservative. Have voted straight ticket R every election but one in my life.[/quote]

Are you sure you don’t mean libertarian?

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:
Pro-gay marriage.
Pro weed legalization.

I’m very conservative. Have voted straight ticket R every election but one in my life.[/quote]

Are you sure you don’t mean libertarian?
[/quote]

I’m sure. It’s just these three issues.

Oh, and I like some form of government-provided social security. Not its current form (it needs to be reformed in size, scope and mission), and it should not be conceived as a replacement for a general pension for the retired, but I don’t want to privatize it or get rid of it.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

Prison penalties should be harsh, and prison life should be harsher (quality of living).[/quote]

You and I appear to be on the same page for one of the only times outside of SAMA.

You smart bastard you.

There are legions of people, including able-bodied young men, living idle lives underwritten by the labor and work of others.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]CornSprint wrote:
Great idea for a thread-I know it’s been tried before (take the other side) but this IMO is more effective. +1 internets for you and to all!

-I am firmly against affirmative action-it should be blind admissions.

-I believe companies should have the ability to cover medicines/conditions as they see fit, so long as they do not receive government funds. Tax breaks for religious institutions do not count as funds in this case. They should however be up front about their coverage limitations and point employees in the direction of alternate plans

-I believe that there is a liberal bias in the general media that varies source to source.

-I don’t believe the “obstructionism” of the current Congress is unique to Repubs. Democrats did a good amount of filibustering in the past…to be clear, I think it’s ridiculous in both cases.

[/quote]

I want to high five you so bad right now.

I love this thread lol.[/quote]

agreed, that was a good post, and agreed, fun thread.

I honestly cant think of one thing that would not require a laundry list of qualifiers.

Maybe that I am for something like a less rabid EPA

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Believing unions are generally a scourge to their members and society TODAY but are necessary in some cases in their historical sense, their roots.[/quote]

Word to this, unions have in certain ways far outgrown their utility and have become grotesque caricatures of their historical selves (a friend of mine is paid about $75,000 base to punch tickets on Metro North RR, and he often doesn’t even do that one simple task).

But, we should all be very grateful for the unions of the past when we get off of work at 5 pm. without having died in a factory fire.

This thread is awesome. I seriously want to internet high-five Corn, smh, and Mak right now.

I have to think about my contribution to this thread.

I’m strongly pro-choice, rape or otherwise. I’m too pragmatic to agree that a young couple with an unplanned pregnancy should suffer the indignation of their past for ~20 years. If you don’t want an abortion, don’t get one.

I’m indifferent on the case of gay marriage. I really do not give a shit if gay people want to get married.

I’m strong pro-death-penalty. I’m not sure if this is really a left/right issue. Liberals don’t like it because it’s cruel and everyone should get a second chance, conservatives don’t like it because they value human life, etc. Whatever.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
This thread is awesome. I seriously want to internet high-five Corn, smh, and Mak right now.

I have to think about my contribution to this thread.[/quote]

Internet high five accepted and accomplished.