T Nation

Proof That Government Is the Problem

If anybody hasn’t heard of Peter Schiff, listen to this man and watch yourself change.

CS

First; I admit to becoming very cynical lately.

With that said…I’m VERY wary when someone has “the” solution, or knows “the” problem when it comes to very complex issues.

Also; knowing a problem can be much simpler than instituting the solutions. As the old saying goes “The Devil is in the details…”

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
First; I admit to becoming very cynical lately.

With that said…I’m VERY wary when someone has “the” solution, or knows “the” problem when it comes to very complex issues.

Also; knowing a problem can be much simpler than instituting the solutions. As the old saying goes “The Devil is in the details…”

Mufasa[/quote]

If I believed that there are no simple solutions to complex problems I would accept the basic premise of the ideological enemies.

Because anyone thinking that way wants “experts” preferably with 3 Phds to socially engineer a desired outcome.

Yes, leaving people alone to sort things out for themselves is “simple” but then the real work is only beginning.

They will try, most will fail, those who dont will get rich and what they do will be copied and when the dust settles the outcome is usually better than what any expert could have come up with.

So, the solution for some people, meaning, government, is actually pretty simple:

Keep your mitts to yourself and let the games begin.

I am sorry, but the more or less mindless bumping into each other of somewhat free individuals is more effective than the cleverest planning, however noone can tell you what the result will be beforehand and most people dont like that.

Orion:

I think that the operative word in what you said was solutions (pleural).

I would never imply that any solution (examples reforming entitlements or job creation) are “simple”…but they also are not unilateral (“It’s the GUB’ment”!)

I know it’s heresy on this site…but in many cases, government DOES need to “get out of the way” (as this author said over…and over…and OVER…and OVER again)…but it does have a place in the solutions (pleural).

I’m no expert on the FED…and he may very well be right in the problems it creates.

But is FED policy the ONLY problem?

I would think not.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Orion:

I think that the operative word in what you said was solutions (pleural).

I would never imply that any solution (examples reforming entitlements or job creation) are “simple”…but they also are not unilateral (“It’s the GUB’ment”!)

I know it’s heresy on this site…but in many cases, government DOES need to “get out of the way” (as this author said over…and over…and OVER…and OVER again)…but it does have a place in the solutions (pleural).

I’m no expert on the FED…and he may very well be right in the problems it creates.

But is FED policy the ONLY problem?

I would think not.

Mufasa[/quote]

I cannot say.

All kinds of actors have done stuff that has consequences, and second, third and nth order consequences, interacting with the consequences of all other actors actions.

That does not mean that you can easily blame someone, but it does mean that the central planning of the Fed and Fanny May and Freddie Mac is most likely furile and harmful.

They suffer from what Hajek called the pretension of knowledge, they claim to know things that they cannot possibly know.

There is one system and one system only that can absorb all the available information in real time, the free market.

Fucking with it is not a good idea.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
But is FED policy the ONLY problem?[/quote]

Not a chance. There are many problems that lie within the fabric of American society and the government that the people of this country select. It’s the way we’ve been pussified and become lazy over the last 60 years, voting for the guy who will give us the most free stuff.

CS

The fed is a good place to start because having sound money is the only way for the market to send price signals to producers and consumers so that they know when these activities will be more or less beneficial.

For example, cheap credit might give the impression to a borrower that it is a good time to buy a house when it might not really be.

The Fed is not just one problem. It creates a whole host of other problems - moral hazard not being the least of them.

Cutting off the Fed would also restrict the government in a very positive way.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
The fed is a good place to start because having sound money is the only way for the market to send price signals to producers and consumers so that they know when these activities will be more or less beneficial.

For example, cheap credit might give the impression to a borrower that it is a good time to buy a house when it might not really be.

The Fed is not just one problem. It creates a whole host of other problems - moral hazard not being the least of them.

Cutting off the Fed would also restrict the government in a very positive way.[/quote]

Oh sweet Jesus, Lifty, you made sense this time! Glad to see you’re coming around.

CS

You mean, this time you comprehend.