Proof Bryant Gumbel is Retarded

Shani Davis, who is black, just won the gold medal in the 1000m long track speedskating earlier today.

Not that I don’t agree with you, but why is Bryant Gumbel retarded? (Specifically)

huh? im so confused with the title, and bryant gumbel and speedskating?

Gumbel made a comment earlier in the month on his show complaining about the Olympics…

“Finally, tonight, the Winter Games: Count me among those who don’t like them and won’t watch them ? try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks, who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention.”

He basically went on to say that these events are not real sport and that the real athletes are all in the NBA and NFL.

[quote]danreeves1973 wrote:
Gumbel made a comment earlier in the month on his show complaining about the Olympics…

“Finally, tonight, the Winter Games: Count me among those who don’t like them and won’t watch them ? try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks, who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention.”

He basically went on to say that these events are not real sport and that the real athletes are all in the NBA and NFL.

[/quote]

If that is exactly what he said, he not only disrespected the atheletes, but our country and the Olympic Games.

Gumbel is a racist for making comments like that.

But that’s nothing new he has been saying nasty things like that for years. I think he was fired from one network several years ago for similar comments.

Anyone remember that?

Talk about a blatantly racist statement. At least his brother Greg isn’t such a huge jackass.

There’s a reason blacks aren’t really hot in wintergames. There’s a reason eskimo’s don’t perform really well in camel races also.

The problem is, it’s not the same reason.

While we don’t expect an African African on skates, the question why not more African Americans are seen on skates and ski’s, is a valid one.

But the same can be said for golf and tennis I guess.

I have heard the arguement made that the majority of the winter olympic sports require a substantial investment cashwise to get started. Thus you see only rich white kids competing.

I argue this applies to all sports, and therefore is a faulty arguement.

People will naturally compete in what sports or events are in their part of the country, what they grow up around and what they can get access to. To be competitive in ANY sport is going to take money for lessons, equipment, travel, etc. It all comes down to what you love to do and what you’re willing to sacrafice.