T Nation

Prometheus: The Movie

I like this movie.

"Prometheus relies heavily on the works of Erich Von Daniken, the author of The Chariots of Gods and other works that affirmed that aliens created men. It also defends the views of people like Zachariah Stichin, who say that Sumerian gods from outer space, the Anunnaki, created men.

In their worldview, there is no space for the Christian God, judged to be a human fable. Obviously, in their perspective, these Engineers would return some day to help us save humans from ourselves.

Two particular scenes show the anti-Christian character of the movie. First, Jesus is depicted as an alien, who was sent to observe us but was instead killed.

That’s why the punishing mission was started 2000 years ago. Ridley Scott confirmed this in interviews. Later, at the end of the movie, Liz, the Christian, takes back her crucifix necklace and is said to have had her faith returned.

In fact, she changed her faith, from a Jesus who is God, to a Jesus who is an alien. That’s why she heads to the Engineer’s planet, to meet this new Jesus.

So there we have it. Our real gods are aliens, and we need to drop our old religion and start worshiping them. Those who are worthy will receive a DNA boost that will make them become gods as they already are. This is the gift of Prometheus, the god who brought fire to humankind in a self-sacrificing manner."

Good stuff!

Why can’t you put this in an already existing thread instead of making a new one? You like attention don’t you?

[quote]forbes wrote:
Why can’t you put this in an already existing thread instead of making a new one? You like attention don’t you?[/quote]

Is there already an existing thread on this? If so, my bad.

If not, STFU.

What a bunch of garbage…

Everyone who is anyone know that super beings from Atlantis created humans. As well as a race of giants that the first humans found especially tasty (hence the reason there are no more giants today).

This could have easily been incorporated into the “What if Christians are wrong” thread.

I enjoyed the movie.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
First, Jesus is depicted as an alien, who was sent to observe us but was instead killed.[/quote]

What?

Movie blew goats, and will be forgotten about by the end of summer.

If as much time was spent writing this as was making it look good, it might have been something. And Jesus was a 10 foot tall albino? Who had superhuman strength, who possessed weapons and technology far beyond anything we can comprehend, yet was crucified by dudes in skirts with spears…sure. Goes along with all the other nonsensical crap in this dogshite movie.

[quote]DirtyM wrote:
Movie blew goats, and will be forgotten about by the end of summer.

If as much time was spent writing this as was making it look good, it might have been something. And Jesus was a 10 foot tall albino? Who had superhuman strength, who possessed weapons and technology far beyond anything we can comprehend, yet was crucified by dudes in skirts with spears…sure. Goes along with all the other nonsensical crap in this dogshite movie. [/quote]

Did you see the movie?

Let’s compare two scenarios: (1) God saw that people were becoming evil and so he decided to be re-born as his own son, grows up, then allows himself to be tortured to death for the benefit of those who are having a picnic while watching him die in agony. (2) Extra terrestrials stumble across a planet with a small semblance of intelligent life and decide to help us somewhat; one of them is very kind and the ape-men kill him for his kindness.

Hmmmmmmmmm…

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
First, Jesus is depicted as an alien, who was sent to observe us but was instead killed.[/quote]

What?[/quote]

That’s in the movie.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

What?[/quote]

That’s in the movie.
[/quote]

Headhunter, you are seriously the worst interpreter of… everything… that I have ever met. NO, Jesus is NOT depicted as an alien IN (emphasize especially on IN) the movie. There is an allusion to the fact that the alien spaceship was headed to earth about 2000 years prior to the “date” of the events the film shows. And yes, in INTERVIEWS (not IN THE FILM) Ridley Scott has talked about considering the idea of depicting the great crisis 2000 years before that caused the Engineers to hate humanity as the death of their Jesus-like Emissary. But that was something he was considering (and MAY play with in the next film), NOT SOMETHING EXPLICITLY STATED IN THE FILM. Jesus isn’t depicted AS AN ALIEN in the film.

Just because an author says in interviews that they considered doing something in a particular work, that doesn’t mean that the author actually DID that thing in the work. It shows tremendously deficient reading skills on your part for you to read something said OUTSIDE of the movie INTO the movie without explicit warrant. They teach people not to do that high school, let alone college. How can you, someone who is supposedly SOOOO learned that he cannot entertain philosophical discussions with others, make such a fundamental mistake?

For the record, I enjoyed the movie, though I think hiring Lindelof to help write was a horrible idea on Scott’s part. Don’t hire people who can’t write endings; Lost was an awful show for that very reason. Scott should have just made the one film and explained everything therein, not leave it all hanging.

Also, here’s a legitimate question - most reviews try to describe the Engineers as these selfless, gentle beings driven to rage only by their progeny’s (i.e., humanity’s) “sins.” But even after the captain and his other two crewmen perform the ultimate act of self-sacrifice (crashing their ship into his), he still attacks Shaw. That tells me (1) either Scott missed a loose end, or (2) the Engineers aren’t exactly the model citizens the reviewers want to depict them as.

I fapped to the movie