T Nation

Projector In Garage Gym

I’ve been thinking about putting a video projector in my garage for added motivation when I workout.

I first got the idea when I saw Dave Tate’s slide show that he used for the Test Fest, played to Pink Floyd’s Brick in the Wall.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them and if they can be hooked up to the internet, and fed the bunch of videos I have saved on youtube, along with other slides that I might make myself.

My garage is pretty dim, even during the day when the door is closed, and I think it shouldn’t be too bright for a projector.

Anyone see anything like this before?

[quote]SWR wrote:
I’ve been thinking about putting a video projector in my garage for added motivation when I workout.

I first got the idea when I saw Dave Tate’s slide show that he used for the Test Fest, played to Pink Floyd’s Brick in the Wall.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them and if they can be hooked up to the internet, and fed the bunch of videos I have saved on youtube, along with other slides that I might make myself.

My garage is pretty dim, even during the day when the door is closed, and I think it shouldn’t be too bright for a projector.

Anyone see anything like this before? [/quote]

[assuming you aren’t talking about one of the old-fashioned “reel” projectors]

Yeah, you can make it basically act as a “monitor” for your computer. Actually…that’s what they’re usually used for. So, as long as the computer you connect it to has the Internet, then you’re good to go.

Check into the prices of the bulbs. Last I heard, the fuckers were insanely expensive. We’re talking $400+ range for a BULB. So don’t break it.

Personally, I wouldn’t do it. I would be distracted as hell by it. But that’s just me.

[quote]SWR wrote:

Anyone see anything like this before? [/quote]

I work for the Technology Services department of my college and I deal with digital projectors constantly.

What you want to do is absolutely feasible from a techinical standpoint. You would probably want a dedicated computer. Some of the higher-end projectors can connect wirelessly but often only support still frames via wireless.

Personally, it seems like a really easy way to waste the cost of a new squat rack and oly bar (even more, depending on how nice of a projector you buy).

Shit, dude, it’s your money.

And, yes, any decent projector will be easily visible in a dim garage.

If you need a digital projection of youtube videos to be motivated enough to lift… I dunno man.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:

Check into the prices of the bulbs. Last I heard, the fuckers were insanely expensive. We’re talking $400+ range for a BULB. So don’t break it.
[/quote]

Yessir, I’ve seen bulbs cost anywhere between 200 and 500 dollars depending on the model/quality/etc.

However, you should get at least 2000 hours out of a single bulb.

Thanks for the info.

As far as needing it to lift, I don’t. Just like noone needs their music blasting in their ear to lift, but it helps.

Same concept, only I can get more out of the visual with music, than I can with music alone.

Just like we don’t need lifting partners, but you can get motivation from them, and have better workouts with them.

And if anyone else saw the slide show, and the speech that Dave Tate made at the Test Fest, they should know what I mean. I was ready to jump out of my chair and smash it into a wall, he got me so pumped up to train.

And once the whole gym is finished, I’ll invite any doubters to come train here and let me know what you think. :wink:

It may be a while though, I still have a little more equipment to buy first.

And the type of youtube videos I was thinking of, are the strength feat videos you can find there. Some real great motivation seeing huge guys lift a ton of weight.

Here are some videos I’ve collected so far:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9590060F2671FD5D

Wikth the money spent on a “wireless” projector (What about the power cable… huh?) and a dedicated PC you can buy a new half-a-gym.

I wouldn’t spend money on it. Unless I got enough to burn… but then there are always better things to spend on than projectors.

Might as well get a used one if all you need to watch is some low resolution, over-compressed videos off youtube. Old PCs go for cheap too. A Pentium 3 with XP will be super nice 128Mb of ram is good too… And a 800x600 resolution projector will be great. You can find these old ones cheap. No one uses 800x600 anymore since resolution is where its at. But you don’t need the resolution anyway (nor wuld you be able to tell the difference, I can’t.) Not for the material you’re watching.

I’d make sure I get it with a working bulb. The bulbs cost more than the projectors themselves sometimes.

i know what you mean about the videos…

there are several videos you will be interested in that i have have favorited… there was one awesome video with marius and one other strong man training… but it was taken down… the rest are there tho… along with ones i just favorited from your selection.

I watch one of these vids usually prior to working out so when my shirt is soaked and my teeth are clenched… i am not bothered by people doing effortless exercise. I can see what real training is like, outside of my gym.

o yea.

Two words: Ricky Bruch.

Intensity.

Here are some Do it yourself links- Ive made several projectors in the past, heres a few ways.

This one below requiresa bit of skill and work.
http://www.geardigest.com/2004/11/13/supersize_your_tv_for_/index.html

You could easily just buy(cheap) an overhead projector, a projection panel(essential is a clear LCD screen that has various inputs attached)(cost varies) for use with a overhead projector and assemble.

Here is a site that shows you how to make your own without an overhead projector.

I hope they help. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

[quote]SWR wrote:
Thanks for the info.

As far as needing it to lift, I don’t. Just like noone needs their music blasting in their ear to lift, but it helps.

Same concept, only I can get more out of the visual with music, than I can with music alone.

Just like we don’t need lifting partners, but you can get motivation from them, and have better workouts with them.

And if anyone else saw the slide show, and the speech that Dave Tate made at the Test Fest, they should know what I mean. I was ready to jump out of my chair and smash it into a wall, he got me so pumped up to train. [/quote]

I actually kind of like the idea. Sort of 21st century version of having posters on the wall of your favorite lifters.

[quote]unbending wrote:
Wikth the money spent on a “wireless” projector (What about the power cable… huh?) and a dedicated PC you can buy a new half-a-gym.

[/quote]

I never said I wanted a “wireless” projector, and I have multiple outlets in my garage for a power cable. I’m also not opposed to running a cable through my wall from my computer room, which is right next to the garage.

[quote]SWR wrote:

I never said I wanted a “wireless” projector, and I have multiple outlets in my garage for a power cable. I’m also not opposed to running a cable through my wall from my computer room, which is right next to the garage.[/quote]

This is definitely going to be your best option. You’ll probably run a standard vga cable. They can be quite long (50+ ft) with negligible signal loss.

[quote]RonPWood wrote:
Here are some Do it yourself links- Ive made several projectors in the past, heres a few ways.

This one below requiresa bit of skill and work.
http://www.geardigest.com/2004/11/13/supersize_your_tv_for_/index.html

You could easily just buy(cheap) an overhead projector, a projection panel(essential is a clear LCD screen that has various inputs attached)(cost varies) for use with a overhead projector and assemble.

Here is a site that shows you how to make your own without an overhead projector.

I hope they help. Feel free to PM me with any questions.[/quote]

Thanks for the links!