T Nation

Progressive Overload Question

Whenever I work out, I always go to failure. Whether it means dropsetting with Bench Press or doing negative curls, etc. My question is would it be better to not do as much? I am not sure if my training will be counterproductive or not. IT’s worked so far, but some things can stop working.

Keep it up till it stops working. I’m all for talking about optimizing one’s training, but you can only really figure out what’s optimal by finding what works consistently over the longest periods of time for you through personal experimentation.

So see how long you can progressively overload with this method, record it, and then try the opposite or whatever else you think will work.

Awesome name OP.

If you’re progressing I wouldn’t worry too much about training too hard - since progress means you aren’t.

I’m young and a beginner but I can easily recover from 18+ sets per major muscle groups, all taken to total cannot-lift-it failure, and then usually another 5-7 drop sets not counted in that original 18.

And it really feels good to be able to thrash yourself like that and grow. I probably wouldn’t believe in overtraining if it wasn’t for the idiotic strength program my gymnastics coach put me through as a young teen.

[quote]Gumpshmee wrote:
Keep it up till it stops working. I’m all for talking about optimizing one’s training, but you can only really figure out what’s optimal by finding what works consistently over the longest periods of time for you through personal experimentation.

So see how long you can progressively overload with this method, record it, and then try the opposite or whatever else you think will work.[/quote]

Hey thanks. I guess that would be a good idea since it HAS been working. I have never really used a training program, and personal experience is what I have lived off of. Not just mine, people at my gym too. (SOme guys will see me make the same mistakes they made.)

[quote]IronWarrior24 wrote:
Awesome name OP.[/quote]

THanks. I mispelled it but I am too lazy to change it.

Obviously if it works then keep doing it, but I don’t know that merely “thrashing” your muscles with a bunch of accumulated fatigue is the ticket or necessarily progress.

Generally if you are doing that many sets you are just fatiguing the hell out of your muscles and the intensity isn’t high. I find it hard to believe you will steadily go up in weight on all those sets.

[quote]Stength4life wrote:
IronWarrior24 wrote:
Awesome name OP.

THanks. I mispelled it but I am too lazy to change it.

[/quote]

They won’t let you change it anymore anyway.

[quote]trextacy wrote:
Obviously if it works then keep doing it, but I don’t know that merely “thrashing” your muscles with a bunch of accumulated fatigue is the ticket or necessarily progress.

Generally if you are doing that many sets you are just fatiguing the hell out of your muscles and the intensity isn’t high. I find it hard to believe you will steadily go up in weight on all those sets.[/quote]

the OP never stated how many sets he’s doing, that was another poster, how can you tell he’s doing too many if you have no information regarding his workout routine.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
trextacy wrote:

Generally if you are doing that many sets you are just fatiguing the hell out of your muscles and the intensity isn’t high. I find it hard to believe you will steadily go up in weight on all those sets.

the OP never stated how many sets he’s doing, that was another poster, how can you tell he’s doing too many if you have no information regarding his workout routine.[/quote]

I made an assumption based on the fact that (a) he sounds like he’s relatively new to working out (and that’s what most newbs do) and (b) he didn’t correct the other poster who chimed in. So, I was making an assumption that he is probably doing a higher volume routine. I could be wrong…maybe the OP will shed some light.