Progressive Overload Back Extensions?

For those who can’t deadlift for whatever structural reason, the back extension looks an attractive alternative as the hip hinge (if you keep the pad low) movement can be trained without any axial load on the spine.

However, is it safe to progressively overload? Even using high rep ranges, is it safe to eventually use significant weight when doing these as you get stronger?

And if you do progressively overload it, would you see any benefits, such as glute strength/hypertrophy and/or postural changes?

I use bands a la John Meadows

You can do them unilaterally too. Try it out and see how you like it.

Another way to progress is to squeeze at top for 1 whole second. Next week, 2 whole seconds. Next week, 3, etc. etc.

i think my lower back gets all the stimulation it needs from high rep box squats. if i felt it needed more i would probably go with pallof presses.
the safety of the back extension is all about having a limited rom. i dont do them so i will leave that for other people to answer. but wouldnt you want to not round the spine and not arch it too much?
i dont really think of the lower back as needing very much progressive overload. to me it is an endurance muscle like the front of the core

[quote]eremesu wrote:
i dont really think of the lower back as needing very much progressive overload. to me it is an endurance muscle like the front of the core [/quote]
What the fuck did I just read?

[quote]lunk wrote:
However, is it safe to progressively overload? Even using high rep ranges, is it safe to eventually use significant weight when doing these as you get stronger?[/quote]

BB behind head (placement like high bar squat).
Yes, go heavy.
I have done 50kg+ (110 lbs+) for reps in the past. Should do it again.
Great for PLing. Probably not necessary for BBing though.

[quote]DSSG wrote:

[quote]eremesu wrote:
i dont really think of the lower back as needing very much progressive overload. to me it is an endurance muscle like the front of the core [/quote]
What the fuck did I just read? [/quote]

the front of the core bro!

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]DSSG wrote:

[quote]eremesu wrote:
What the fuck did I just read? [/quote]

the front of the core bro![/quote]
brah*

so what was the final answer? What is the best way to use back ext? Anyway I can get my back stronger I am all ears…

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:
so what was the final answer? What is the best way to use back ext? Anyway I can get my back stronger I am all ears…[/quote]

the core, lower back and abs. ill say core whenever the fuck i want
i used to think they were separate but now i think that lower back and abs are part of a core and dont need spinal flexion or isolation to be worked out

[quote]John Meadows wrote:

G) Hyperextensions ? Do one set with medium weight to failure, then drop the weight and get a few more reps. The next set, cut the weight in half and repeat. On the third set, just do bodyweight for as many reps as possible.

For example, hold a 50-pound dumbbell and do 15 reps; then drop it and try to gut out 10 more. On the 2nd set, hold a 25-pound dumbbell and do the same reps; on the 3rd set try to get about 25 reps. This is brutal. [/quote]

From an example phase 2 of JM’s Mountain Dog Back article ( A Monstrous Back: The Mountain Dog Way ) here on T-Nation. I’ve been doing them like this for a while using a 45-degree extension-bench-thingy and with a 2-second pause at the top; my lower back feels great, none of the usual aches and pains.