Progressive Loading in the Best Damn Workout for Natural Lifters

Hey, so I’ve just started the Best Damn Workout Plan for Natural Lifters and I’m really enjoying it so far. The science of higher frequency makes sense to me, and the shorter workouts allow me the time afterwards to work on some calves, core, and grip/forearm auxiliary work. I know this program is focused more towards hypertrophy, which is what I’m going for, but I was wondering about the strength aspect.

Almost all the working sets are geared towards 6 reps, and while finding my working weight on this, I would get 8 or 9 reps on some lifts. Obviously I’ll go up a dumbell, or plate, or whatever, depending on the exercise, but I was wondering if the was a range to work within? Say, 4-8 with 6 being ideal? For instance, a weight I could only get 6 with 4-6 weeks ago, now I’m getting 8 times. Should I go up the next increment in weight, even if that means I can only get 4 or 5 reps? And work that until I get to, 6, then 7, then 8, and increase weight again? Or should I ALWAYS get at least 6, even if that means hitting 10 reps with 30lb dbs, before moving up to getting at least 6 with 35s. I’m curious. I’m lucky enough to still gain some strength even when doing hypertrophy based workouts, and was just wondering how to go about this. All input is appreciated.

Thanks
Jack

I followed this plan and made some great strength and size gains from it.

Yes, if you can hit the higher end of the rep range with good form, then up the weight. Wouldn’t see much point in prolonging it.

When I did it, I would work up to 6 reps, then 3, then another 3 with the rest pause technique. Then as soon as I could easily do that I would add weight, then keep repeating that. Which worked really well.

I know I’m not CT but that’s how I did it, hope this helps.

There is a strength version based on the same principles:

Thank you for sharing.