Progression?

Is me adding 5lbs every two weeks to my squat and deadlift a good progression? I want to do this for like 15 months and then see what happens after…I have been squating 3x a week and deadlifting 2x week for the last 4 months and my strength has went up like crazy. btw, this is mainly for strength, but of course size will come.

thanks

[quote]ynballin wrote:
Is me adding 5lbs every two weeks to my squat and deadlift a good progression? I want to do this for like 15 months and then see what happens after…I have been squating 3x a week and deadlifting 2x week for the last 4 months and my strength has went up like crazy. btw, this is mainly for strength, but of course size will come.

thanks[/quote]

I’m no professional or anything, but seems like a 5 pound increase every two weeks is very small for those exercises.

What is your height and weight? Have you only been working out for 4 months now, or did you mean that you have been doing the 3x/2x a week for 4 months?

There is going to be a big difference between going from 150-155 in two weeks as to going from 400-405 in the same time span.

That’s easy but there will come a point that you’re gains will slow and you’ll have to de-load

[quote]Weakling 8 wrote:
ynballin wrote:

thanks

I’m no professional or anything, but seems like a 5 pound increase every two weeks is very small for those exercises.

[/quote]

It’s not a small increase if he can keep it up for the whole 15 months. That would be about an 150 pound increase. I would love to see that kind of gain in 15 months.

Now whether he can actually continue to add those weights at that pace is different topic.

I don’t see how anybody can just plan how much they are going to increase each week.

I have always wondered, does adding weight to the bar make you stronger, or do you add weight because you are stronger?

[quote]onewall wrote:
I don’t see how anybody can just plan how much they are going to increase each week.

I have always wondered, does adding weight to the bar make you stronger, or do you add weight because you are stronger? [/quote]

I think all three of those are true.

[quote]Weakling 8 wrote:
[/quote]

I used to fall into this trap when I was first starting out. If you ever want to make progress, try to lose this mind set.

Just because they are ‘big lifts’ where you are moving a lot of weight, don’t think that you are only allowed to add the 25, 35 or 45lb plates to make progress. If you can make a lot of small increases over the course of a year, they will add up. Don’t be afraid of the 2 1/2lb plates. There was a time when you could find 1lb plates in gyms.

I would love to add 100lbs to any lift in a year. If anyone is going to accomplish that much strength gain, it’s not going to be by making giant leaps.