Progression, Rest Pause?

Hello Coach,

Is it acceptable in your opinion to progress on the weight like this:
Let’s say I got 10 pull ups this week, next week I’ll try to do 11.
However, if I can’t, is it acceptable, if I ask you, to use ‘rest pause’ in a sense that I’ll stop after 10 reps, shake my hands, and do the last one…

Is this good and acceptable? The same goes for weighted push ups…

Thank you very much

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
Hello Coach,

However, if I can’t, is it acceptable, if I ask you, to use ‘rest pause’ in a sense that I’ll stop after 10 reps, shake my hands, and do the last one…

Thank you very much[/quote]

Yes perfectly fine.

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
Hello Coach,

you really need to expand on what your routine looks like and what your goals are…

if you are training the pull up once or twice a week for example, and your goal is to increase the amount of pull ups you do, then yeah you could train to failure, and if progress stalls then use high intensity techniques like rest/pause.

if you are training the pull up frequently like 5 or 6 times a week, then you would avoid failure, just try and ensure that your average amount of pull ups is increasing as your performance will flucuate…

[quote]lboro21 wrote:

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
Hello Coach,

you really need to expand on what your routine looks like and what your goals are…

if you are training the pull up once or twice a week for example, and your goal is to increase the amount of pull ups you do, then yeah you could train to failure, and if progress stalls then use high intensity techniques like rest/pause.

if you are training the pull up frequently like 5 or 6 times a week, then you would avoid failure, just try and ensure that your average amount of pull ups is increasing as your performance will flucuate…
[/quote]
Hello!

I train with bodyweight plus external (added) resistance if the bodyweight movement has become too easy. For instance I could do 25 push ups in a row with slow tempo, good form, but that wouldn’t do much; that’s why I do weighted push ups with around 40 pounds and as I progress, I add more weight to it.

If I can do 20 pull ups with good form, I’ll start doing weighted pull ups.

However, I’ve got to admit I do vary the rep schemes, that is, for example, this week I’ve been and I’ll be doing push ups for 26 reps and incline push ups for 23 reps.

If I can’t do them in a row, that is, if I can get only 25 push ups, then I pause for a second and do another push up.

It seems in CT’s professional opinion (no sarcasm intended) it’s perfectly fine to do it this way, progressing on the total number of reps per exercise.

I train full body with body weight exercises with added resistance if necessary, 3 times a week. I seem to be making progress as to the exercises and as far as I know, a surefire way to build muscle is to continually get stronger in the hypertrophy range (but like I said I strive to vary reps week to week, that is, on week 1 I do 5-8 reps for each exercise, on week 2 I do every movement till absolute failure: for push ups, currently, this means 25 reps; for pull ups, 10 reps)

I train pull ups, push ups… This way I train my whole upper body. For legs I do hill sprints and cycling.

8 sets of pull ups to failure
6 sets of push ups (3 sets of decline and 3 sets of regular push ups)

^ 3 times a week

What do you think? Thanks

[quote]GetBigs wrote:

[quote]lboro21 wrote:

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
Hello Coach,

[/quote]
Hello!

I train with bodyweight plus external (added) resistance if the bodyweight movement has become too easy. For instance I could do 25 push ups in a row with slow tempo, good form, but that wouldn’t do much; that’s why I do weighted push ups with around 40 pounds and as I progress, I add more weight to it.

If I can do 20 pull ups with good form, I’ll start doing weighted pull ups.

However, I’ve got to admit I do vary the rep schemes, that is, for example, this week I’ve been and I’ll be doing push ups for 26 reps and incline push ups for 23 reps.

If I can’t do them in a row, that is, if I can get only 25 push ups, then I pause for a second and do another push up.

It seems in CT’s professional opinion (no sarcasm intended) it’s perfectly fine to do it this way, progressing on the total number of reps per exercise.

I train full body with body weight exercises with added resistance if necessary, 3 times a week. I seem to be making progress as to the exercises and as far as I know, a surefire way to build muscle is to continually get stronger in the hypertrophy range (but like I said I strive to vary reps week to week, that is, on week 1 I do 5-8 reps for each exercise, on week 2 I do every movement till absolute failure: for push ups, currently, this means 25 reps; for pull ups, 10 reps)

I train pull ups, push ups… This way I train my whole upper body. For legs I do hill sprints and cycling.

8 sets of pull ups to failure
6 sets of push ups (3 sets of decline and 3 sets of regular push ups)

^ 3 times a week

What do you think? Thanks[/quote]

it sounds like you have a structure in place (rather than random push ups and pull ups here and there) which is great!

CT is the don. so much so that most people will follow him to the end of the world and back -myself included - so if he says its ok, then its ok haha.

Chris Shugart wrote a great article called the chin up project… to be honest it sounds perfect for you, and you could probably tailor for weighted push ups as well… give it a read!!

i think it will give you a plan to follow, rather than doing all the number crunching yourself and getting worked up over whether your system is working or not (we are all guilty of this)