Progression Questions

Hi,

I am currently setting up a weight training program to get stronger for basketball.

I am 14 years old, 125 pounds, and 5 foot 5.

As a 14 year old beginner I was told to stay in the 6-15 rep range. I want strength so I wanted to do the lower reps. But I am also a beginner so I dont really have perfect form yet. I am thinking of doing 8-10 reps for 3 sets on every excersise( I’m doing a full body split 3x a week).

My idea was to increase the weight by 5 pounds every week. Will that work?

Or will doing lower reps like 5 or 6 be better.

Let me put it this way.

What will I see more gains from?

5-6 reps increasing the weight 5 pounds every week?

or

8-10 reps increasing the weight 5 pounds per week?

I havent even started yet so I dont even know if I can handle 5 pound increases.

What do you prefer?

Please help me out.

Thanks.

Just get in and train!

If you want guidlines I would say when you hit the upper limit of a rep range (say 12 reps for all 3 sets) increase the weight by 5 lbs the next time you hit the same exercise.

You could always try doing both. Like week 1 do sets of ten reps, week 2 do sets of 8 reps while increasing the weight 5-10 pounds. Then next week increase the weight again and do 6 reps for each exercise etc.

(Note: You don’t have to increase the weight on every single exercise, as long as you’re improving on the main lifts ie. deadlifts, squats, bench press and pulldowns, or at least a couple of the main lifts, then you’re doing fine.)