T Nation

Progression on Lunges?

I am trying to get back into single-leg or split-stance training after a long time away from it and I am hoping you will have opinions.

Out of all the single-leg variations, which are best to start with and which are more advanced? Ideas on progression?

Just of the top of my mind there are:

BB vs DB
Stationary vs Walking
Regular vs Reverse
Flat vs Foot raised (front vs back)
1-leg vs Alternating

Which combo of these variables would be the easiest to start with and where do YOU progress to? I have never stuck with them long enough to feel like I can really differentiate the type. I can obviously guess and experiment, but I am wondering what your experiences are in the Lunge department.

I do walking lunges with 50lb DBs around the track at the end of my leg workout… i only do one lap and i never want to progress !

Yeah, I am used to doing DB walking lunges and stationary BB lunges, but I am wondering what other people are using. I hate all forms of lunges, TBH, but i know that is an indicator that I should be doing them.

The only other guy I see using them in my gym is doing them very light and is about 17 y.o by the look of things.

Try Walking BB lunges I find them harder than DB as they activate the core.

Thanksfor the input, but I am wondering where is the best place to start and then how to progress on them.

Here’s progressions for lunges not split squats

Stationary
Stepping Forwards
Stepping Backwards
Walking Forwards
Walking Backwards
Multi Directional Stepping
Multi Directional Walking

Db’s to Barbell to Front Barbell

All you need is walking lunges. Then you can progress to even more walking lunges, hopefully you can get to the point where you have to use a parking lot with a log on your back.

I find my form is better with barbell walking lunges, mostly due to the inherent hunch forward you gain with DB as you get tired. Also for me it really helps open up my chest and reach my second wind when I’m really pushing it.

[quote]steelechris wrote:
I find my form is better with barbell walking lunges, mostly due to the inherent hunch forward you gain with DB as you get tired. Also for me it really helps open up my chest and reach my second wind when I’m really pushing it.[/quote]

Agree 100%.

Once the loads get heavy I find I have to use static rather than dynamic lunges.

Stationary Reverse Db Lunges and Db Bulgarian Split Squats are fairly basic

walking variations can be a bit harder in terms of balancing, when you are tired

I rotate between:

Db BG Split Squat
DB BG Split Squat w/ ^ROM
Walking Db Lunge
Walking BB Lunge

they are all pretty basic, but all pretty brutal. Theres no need to complicate it too much

I do lunges either

fast and explosive mimicking a leg attack in wrestling hold DB’s

or

in Smith Machine

where I take the back leg and bring my knee up as high as possible on each rep.

add weight?

[quote]stockzy wrote:
Here’s progressions for lunges not split squats

Stationary
Stepping Forwards
Stepping Backwards
Walking Forwards
Walking Backwards
Multi Directional Stepping
Multi Directional Walking

Db’s to Barbell to Front Barbell

[/quote]

Wow, walking backward lunges? That’s just impressive regardless of the weight.

Wow, thanks for the feedback crew

[quote]I rotate between:

Db BG Split Squat
DB BG Split Squat w/ ^ROM
Walking Db Lunge
Walking BB Lunge [/quote]

Do you rotate every workout, just doing what you feel, or do you stick with one for a few weeks/months?

I find that as I get more tired on BB, I tend to sway side to side and look like a moron. I agree it helps me open up, but when I tire on BB I feel like I could cause a real ruckus by taking a sideways spill, haha.

[quote]I do lunges either

fast and explosive mimicking a leg attack in wrestling hold DB’s

or

in Smith Machine

where I take the back leg and bring my knee up as high as possible on each rep.[/quote]

You don’t think doing them in the smith machine kind of defeats the purpose of lunges altogether, broviding a solid base to push against? Just playing Devil’s Advocate here.

I love split squats or reverse lunges from a platform. if your gym doesn’t have a platform stack 2 or 3 plates on top of each other. the stretch is unbelievable and the deeper ROM targets your knee and hip stabilisers more. expect not to walk for a few days afterwards. they produce the most DOMS out of any exercise IMO

start with DBS until you get to the point where your handgrip is a limiting factor. then progress to BBs to go heavier. BBS also work your core more because it is harder to stablise your centre of gravity when you step off.

fast and explosive mimicking a leg attack in wrestling hold DB’s

or

in Smith Machine

where I take the back leg and bring my knee up as high as possible on each rep.[/quote]

You don’t think doing them in the smith machine kind of defeats the purpose of lunges altogether, broviding a solid base to push against? Just playing Devil’s Advocate here.
[/quote]

Isnt the point of the lunge to build the glutes? lol

I dont see the need for the walking lunges because when I do them in the smith machine its not for sports performance. The “leg attack” lunges serve that purpose for me. I doubt you’ll lose much balance if you do the SML as long as you are squatting…maybe if you really need the mobility for some reason the walking ones are fine…anyway SML allow for higher loads and stricter more form because of the restriction of wobbling.

my .02 on them

[quote]I love split squats or reverse lunges from a platform. if your gym doesn’t have a platform stack 2 or 3 plates on top of each other. the stretch is unbelievable and the deeper ROM targets your knee and hip stabilisers more. expect not to walk for a few days afterwards. they produce the most DOMS out of any exercise IMO

start with DBS until you get to the point where your handgrip is a limiting factor. then progress to BBs to go heavier. BBS also work your core more because it is harder to stablise your centre of gravity when you step off. [/quote]

I’ve got a platform I can use. What foot are you putting up, front I assume? Sounds like it would destroy the glutes. I have only ever done back-foot raised for WS4SB and found them kind of awkward once the weights got heavy.

[quote]Isnt the point of the lunge to build the glutes? lol

I dont see the need for the walking lunges because when I do them in the smith machine its not for sports performance. The “leg attack” lunges serve that purpose for me. I doubt you’ll lose much balance if you do the SML as long as you are squatting…maybe if you really need the mobility for some reason the walking ones are fine…anyway SML allow for higher loads and stricter more form because of the restriction of wobbling.

my .02 on them[/quote]

I guess I am not used to doing lunges for bodybuilding purposes, so I was thinking they were more for core/hip stability (and to point out imbalances and weaknesses). I think when I am in a phase of trying to build strength, I will probably do all stationary work and then move to walking once I feel satisfactory on using BBs with a decent weight. Thanks for the input. A lot of “.02” eventually ads up.

My gym is a converted office building. We have 6 flights of stairs. Try walking DB lunges up and down 6 flights of stairs…:slight_smile:

Alan

IMO the smith reduces a lot of the stabilising muscles involved in doing a lunge. sorta takes away the purpose of uni lateral leg training. with practice the wobbling will go away.

the point of the lunge is to build the glutes but why not increase mobility, function and movement patterns along the way?

[quote]Benjuito wrote:

[quote]I love split squats or reverse lunges from a platform. if your gym doesn’t have a platform stack 2 or 3 plates on top of each other. the stretch is unbelievable and the deeper ROM targets your knee and hip stabilisers more. expect not to walk for a few days afterwards. they produce the most DOMS out of any exercise IMO

start with DBS until you get to the point where your handgrip is a limiting factor. then progress to BBs to go heavier. BBS also work your core more because it is harder to stablise your centre of gravity when you step off. [/quote]

I’ve got a platform I can use. What foot are you putting up, front I assume? Sounds like it would destroy the glutes. I have only ever done back-foot raised for WS4SB and found them kind of awkward once the weights got heavy.

[quote]Isnt the point of the lunge to build the glutes? lol

I dont see the need for the walking lunges because when I do them in the smith machine its not for sports performance. The “leg attack” lunges serve that purpose for me. I doubt you’ll lose much balance if you do the SML as long as you are squatting…maybe if you really need the mobility for some reason the walking ones are fine…anyway SML allow for higher loads and stricter more form because of the restriction of wobbling.

my .02 on them[/quote]

I guess I am not used to doing lunges for bodybuilding purposes, so I was thinking they were more for core/hip stability (and to point out imbalances and weaknesses). I think when I am in a phase of trying to build strength, I will probably do all stationary work and then move to walking once I feel satisfactory on using BBs with a decent weight. Thanks for the input. A lot of “.02” eventually ads up.[/quote]

yeah the front foot is elevated.

you can also do the rear foot elevated or bulgarian split squats as you get better your balance will improve. i suggest using dbs at first though just in case you go ass over tit.

BB OH lunges are pretty bad ass too :wink: