T Nation

Progression in "How I Added 100 Pounds to My Deadlift" Template?

Hi Coach,

Hope you are doing well.

I’ve been looking for some program and i found out this: Olympic Lifts in ‘How I Added 100 Pounds to My Deadlift’ Template

This is my second week following it the you wrote it. I would like to ask you for the following:

For the main lifts: deadlift, squat, bp and overhead press how heavy should i go?

For example yesterday i did bench press: 1x5x82.5; 1x4x87.5, 1x3x92.5; 1x2x97.5:1x1x102.5 (everything is in kilograms.)

The last two sets were hard, but not near to failure. Let’s say that i could’ve done them with + 2.5 kg , but it would be with grinding(especially for the last one). Should i pursue this?

Let’s say next week i will be doing ramping up till 2 rm max on the deadlift. Should i pursue that till i have nothing left in the tank, or to leave something in it?

I’m having trouble determining how heavy should be every working set on the main lifts. Should it be till failure? Should i leave something in the tank? If yes, how much should i leave? I would appreciate if you could share with me some general guidelines, which i can use, because i am struggling with this.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

George Milev

I’m not CT obviously, but it’s a template, not a program, so you can basically use any progression model. CT has mentioned simple double progression for it. I’m using a powerlifting RPE system with his template, but you could use something like 5/3/1 or just pull the progression model from another one of his programs and use it for the main lift.

Yes! Thank you. It’s NOT a program.

Hi Coach,

Understood. It’s a template, not a program. Did not choose my words correctly.

Ok, so i guess than my question would be regarding the progression model.

Let’s say i am doing 1x5,1x4,1x3,1x2,1x1 or 6x3? How heavy should i go? Should i leave something in the tank or no? Some general guide?

Also i came across an article. What do you think about this:

“Let’s say you have a max deadlift of 400lbs - a respectable lift for a man weighing 200lbs.
If I was training you in person, you’d do a ton of doubles and triples
with 200 to 280lbs and occasionally we’d go a little heavier. Every eight to twelve weeks you’d test your max and only after a new max would you then increase your training weights.”

Thanks.

Best Regards,

George Milev

On big compound movements involving spinal loading I believe in an effort level of 7 or 8 on 10… leaving 2 reps in the tank per set.

This is not unlike my “Riussian strength-skill” method. Great for improving strength through neural efficiency but not such a great way to build muscle.

CT is this still the idea when doing a rest paused set with these lifts? If you are just working up to one all out set

Coach,

Thanks for the reply!

I’m asking you, because as I mentioned i’m having a hard time determining, how much exactly should i lift. For example before switching to the above template and the provided rep schemes from you i was doing 6x3 squats two times a week and 4 of my sets where with hard grinding i was barely doing them. This for sure played me a bad joke, because now i can feel the same weights a lot heavier that before… So the above reply should help me have a general idea how heavy i should go. If i would like to do 6x3 i will lower the weight, till i am sure i have two reps in the tank for each set. And also another thing. Let’s say in near future i would like to change the template, that you shared. Any general guide how i can structure the new one? I’ve read another great article from you: https://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to-design-a-damn-good-program-1 can i refer to for the exercise order and reps, sets?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

George Milev

On compound lifts involving spinal loading, yes. Even when one doing on hard set you should not go to failure.