Progressing

Last program that i ran was called Copland training II ( http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/copland_training_ii ). It’s a 3 day split program, where the main exercise (i picked bench press, back squat and military press) is done in 5x5 style and your goal is to add 5 lbs to the main lifts every week for a month. If you don’t start too heavy, eat enough and don’t overdo assistance, that’s possible (my experience).

Would it really be that dumb to try to do that for like a period of one year, i.e. upping the weight when you could do 5 reps with it. Sure you would have weeks where perhaps you would only get 3 reps, but i feel that unless you’re at elite level you would get some progress. When you would feel beat down you would deload, perhaps take a whole week off or lower the weight a bit and start over.

And for the record i am well aware that you can’t just add weight to the bar every week for a year unless you’re a complete beginner. So there would be weeks when you would progress and weeks where you would stall. And also if anyone suggest 531 as a better alternative, i did 4 cycles of it and had minimal success, excluding deadlift, where i added 20 lbs.

So, what’s your opinion?

Go heavy in the paint, win meets

5/3/1 is the answer no doubt definitely indefinitely infinitely. Got diarreha? 5/3/1 Broken car? 5/3/1 Entering ironman contest? 5/3/1