Progress Without Supplements?

I’ve been working out for almost a year right now and have made some tremendous gains in strength, going up from a scrawny skinny-fat 60kg bitch to an 80kg strong-and-big-above-average trainee. I’ve been into powerlifting recently and had a massive 85 kg increase in my deadlift and a 50kg one in my bench press from starting training and I have done it without ever using a supplement or even protein powder.

So this stems the question: Does one REALLY need supplements and it would boost my gains even further or is it a mass-marketing hype?

Hi,

Congrats on your gains!

Somebody om this forum once wrote : Supplements are like the polish on your corvette.
The corvette is of course proper nutrition.

NEED supps? From the sound of it, you’re making gains just fine without them. Once you’ve exhausted your “newbie” gains, might be something to look into to keep progressing at a good rate. Until then, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.Just my opinion, though.

No they’re not necessary.

Yes they would help depending on which supps you’re talking about. you can get protein from diet alone, but if you’re interested in things such as beta-alanine, alpha gpc, creatine, stimulants, or other more “chemical-ly” supps, then food alone won’t contain what you’re after.

for the most part, supps are a convenient way to get in X grams of quality protein and Y grams of Z type of carb in powder or pill form.

Thanks for the responses!
I really don’t actually have a proper nutrition. I just try to have as much protein as possible and try to get a large amount of calories. I’ve been recently thinking about creatine lately but there aren’t a lot of brands here selling it except for GNC and Weider at ridiculous prices. I’ve also heard that these brands aren’t particularly stellar but I don’t think I really will use them until I start to stall on my gains big time.

I really don’t actually have a proper nutrition. I just try to have as much protein as possible and try to get a large amount of calories. I’ve been recently thinking about creatine lately but there aren’t a lot of brands here selling it except for GNC and Weider at ridiculous prices. I’ve also heard that these brands aren’t particularly stellar but I don’t think I really will use them until I start to stall on my gains big time.

[quote]Lakkhamu wrote:
I really don’t actually have a proper nutrition. I just try to have as much protein as possible and try to get a large amount of calories.[/quote]

That is proper nutrition. Good progress, keep it up!

where are you from that the selection is so limited? if you find any online supp stores that ship to your country for free, look for creapure creatine monohydrate.

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:
where are you from that the selection is so limited? if you find any online supp stores that ship to your country for free, look for creapure creatine monohydrate.[/quote]

I live in Turkey. The only brands available locally are Weider, GNC, Universal (What the fuck is that?), Optimum Nutrition and Dymatize in decreasing order. I think shipping edible material is not allowed here internationally so would anyone know which company has the best products?

I never had any supplements till I was over 30 years old. I just didn’t have the money for them.

Now I think they’re good and can help ( protein powders are undeniably convenient) and the other weird benefit it that when you have protein powder in your house along with some creatine and whatnot then you just feel a little more hardcore.
Your mileage may very.

[quote]Lakkhamu wrote:

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:
where are you from that the selection is so limited? if you find any online supp stores that ship to your country for free, look for creapure creatine monohydrate.[/quote]

I live in Turkey. The only brands available locally are Weider, GNC, Universal (What the fuck is that?), Optimum Nutrition and Dymatize in decreasing order. I think shipping edible material is not allowed here internationally so would anyone know which company has the best products?[/quote]

Universal is a reputable company. They make the classic Animal Pak vitamins!

I use Dymatize (hey! I’d get Biotest if I could!) and it is good.

[quote]Erasmus wrote:
Hi,

Congrats on your gains!

Somebody om this forum once wrote : Supplements are like the polish on your corvette.
[/quote]

Totally agree. The only supplements I use any more are simply health related. Fish oil and a greens/Superfood supplement, that’s it.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Erasmus wrote:
Hi,

Congrats on your gains!

[/quote]

Totally agree. The only supplements I use any more are simply health related. Fish oil and a greens/Superfood supplement, that’s it.[/quote]

U no has teh creatinez, brah?