Progress Stopped, Help?

ive been working out for about 1 good year now.

im 19 used to weigth 105 now 135 maxing out
bench 230
squat 250

recently ive notice i havnt been getting any bigger i was wondering what type of things to do or if i should start taking protiens and creatines? and if so which brand is best ive seen liquid protien and powder and same with creatine just wondering which works better? what types of routines can i do to get bigger

You probably just need to eat more. A diet that had you in calorie surplus at 105 probably has you at maintenance at 135.

You don’t need to overdo it. Just add 250-300 calories a day to start with. If this hasn’t worked after a month, add another 250-300.

Well, getting big is all about the diet.

Before jumping onto some protein powder and creatine stuff, I’d start eating like a 200lb individual, if you aren’t already.

Also, according to most training articles I’ve read, switching up your routines every 3 months or so can be required to “shock” your system back into growth.

Protein powder may well have it’s place when trying to bulk up, as it can provide a quick and easily consumed protein source, but I would suggest you list your diet and routine here, get some feedback and what you could do better in those areas, before investing in protein powder? :slight_smile:

I think the others pretty much covered it - eat more.

Nice bench considering your weight though.

-Cloth

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
You probably just need to eat more. A diet that had you in calorie surplus at 105 probably has you at maintenance at 135.

You don’t need to overdo it. Just add 250-300 calories a day to start with. If this hasn’t worked after a month, add another 250-300.[/quote]

I agree with sharetrader on the nutrition side.

What are you doing as far as training? Have you changed your program since you started?

Gains in the first year are fairly easy to come by, now you’ll need to start thinking. Let us know what you’re doing.

1. Eat as much as you can. Up your caloric intake by 500 calories every week until you’re gaining at least half a kilo a week.

2. Write down every exercise you haven’t done in the last year and only do these exercises.

3. Eat some more.

If those are real max #'s, good work.

Eat more, switch up your training.

The gains just happen slower as you mature in your training. That’s not to say you won’t have periods in time when your body is noticeably more anabolic than others, but the gains will come slower.

You’ve only just begun, keep at it.

ok i usally switch up my routine every 2 weeks

frist week i do ligth weigth and i do 4 sets of 25reps each. 30-45 sec rest inbetween sets
mondays= bi’s/ tri’s
tuesday= cardio/ abs
wensday= chest/ back
thursday= legs/abs
fridays= i do everything bi/tri/chest/back/abs/cardio

sat and sunday = off days usally play sports or swim

i do that for 2 weeks

then after that i usally max out on everyting and start a heavy lift i use 75-80% of my max which is like

i mean for my size i think i have strength and endurance but im looking to be huge (if you guys have seen THE 300 movie somethign like that)even if it migth take a while

MY diet is this
i eat about 4-5 times a day

6am oatmeal
11am 3 eggs some bacon
2 pm usally chicken or if i cant make it i usally get a double double from IN N OUT i believe it has about 600 cal like 14 gs of protien
6pm nothing really to heavy maybe a salad
8pm cereal if im hungry

I know i should change things in my diet and workout any suggestions

ok i think ima get a load of creatine just wonder pills, powder or liquid which is better, which tends to have a better effect

razvan, ok for your size I think you’ve got some pretty good numbers, and your routine may very well have worked so far, but as you pointed out yourself, progress has stopped.

Since programs are not my strong point (I’m a beginner myself) I would simple suggest taking one of the programs on here, BBB or TBT, and try that out for 6-8 weeks, see if that doesn’t help.

I would also suggest you really clean up your diet. Right now you’re not eating clean, and you’re not eating much either. The oatmeal and eggs are a good start though.

Start following the 7 healthy habits by Berardi, in short, eat every 2-3 hours, with emphasis on protein and veggies. Adjust your meals so that per day you’re eating something like 500 kcal over maintenance. If still no progress (ie. no weight or strength gains in f. example 2 weeks), increase your caloric intake in steps of perhaps 250kcal per day.

Right now you have HUGE gaps (5 hours?) in your day when it comes to food intake, and a really low overall protein intake I’d say. By the way, you don’t mention post workout nutrition? And a cereal in the evening before bed? Come on, your body needs some quality protein for the night to stave off catabolism!

Personally I would suggest limiting carbs to only mornings, and post workout, if you’re looking for a clean bulk.

If you’re looking to grow, the key is never to get hungry, you eat because it’s time to eat, hunger in my book is the precursor to muscle catabolism and even overeating and subsequent fat gains.

Now depending on your metabolism, these suggestions might work, but if you’ve had to work hard to get to your current weight, you might have to eat even more. I suggest keeping a food log for a few days, and try and see where you’re missing out on protein and calories during the day. If your own tweaking with the diet gets you nowhere, post some of your food log on the supp & nutrition forum here, and get proper feedback on it :slight_smile:

Again, good numbers for your size, there’s nothing standing in your way of growing some more, except changing up your program, eating more, and staying consistent with it.

[quote]razvan123 wrote:
ok i think ima get a load of creatine just wonder pills, powder or liquid which is better, which tends to have a better effect[/quote]

Liquid creatine?

As far as I remember creatine monohydrate is extremly unstable in most liquids, and turns to useless creatinine, very very fast.

Get the powder, to be sure, get the powder they have here.

Creatine is still only going to get you part of the way, it will make you gain a few pounds of water, and increase your strength a little, but it won’t make your muscles grow.

Eat more, and if you’re going to get creatine, get powdered creatine and not the liquid (waste of money).

The best source of creatine is meat. The creatine in meat is more readily absorbed.

Your squat seems really low in comparison to your bench. Do you have bad back problems or knee problems? Or do you just not work out your legs for some reason?

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
The best source of creatine is meat. The creatine in meat is more readily absorbed.[/quote]

I like you. I’ve had this view for a couple of years now. Nothing like some rare steak to make you strong, I say.

Cooking things destroys a lot of nutrients, just a couple in red meat which get destroyed by heat, would be creatine, and co-enzyme Q10.

no no problem i just dont work out my legs as much as my upper body(i hate working out my legs the most always in pain when i walk)

[quote]razvan123 wrote:

i mean for my size i think i have strength and endurance but im looking to be huge (if you guys have seen THE 300 movie somethign like that)even if it migth take a while

MY diet is this
i eat about 4-5 times a day

6am oatmeal
11am 3 eggs some bacon
2 pm usally chicken or if i cant make it i usally get a double double from IN N OUT i believe it has about 600 cal like 14 gs of protien
6pm nothing really to heavy maybe a salad
8pm cereal if im hungry

I know i should change things in my diet and workout any suggestions
[/quote]

I see only 2 or at most 3 meals in your diet. Definitely not enough food, especially since you are trying to gain weight.
Getting a quality protein powder is a good idea as well.

Creatine will make u a little stronger, no doubt, but will not make u gain weight or muscle if that diet doesn’t change. I spent 2-3 years lifting and only gained about 18 pounds… then i learned what eating was. I’ve gained 10 pounds in 3 months since. An apprx day of eating for me would be:

8am - oatmeal, 4 eggs and a protein shake with milk for breakfast.

1030am - Roastbeef Sandwich w/ piece of fruit.

1230pm - Chicken Sandwich with veggies

3pm - Roastbeef Sandwich #2

530pm (preworkout) - Protein Shake with Milk, Banana, and a breast of chicken if if i can stomach any more food before a workout.

8pm (postworkout) - Big Ass steak, beans, protein shake with milk, omega 3 oil (tablespoon).

11pm - Protein Shake with Milk

At 135 you WILL gain weight eating like above and you WILL see your strength numbers rise considerably. You will also never be truly hungry, which makes it tough to eat, but also makes your cravings for bad foods non-existant.

If you can bench 230 and only squat 250, you should start training your legs.

ok thanks for all the info

ima start eating hard and taking creatine/ protien

and in about a month i will giev you guys my new stats. thanks agian for everything.