T Nation

Progress on OHP Stalling

I dont know what it is, but I’ve been progressing with the overhead press pretty steadily till the last few weeks. I’ve been doing 5x6 max weight 125lbs. I can get the first 2 sets, set 3 fails at rep 3. I drop to 115lbs and finish out the lifts. But I’ve been at 125 for about 3 weeks.

Military press is the hardest compound lift to progress on by far. I had to start working delts twice a week to start making progress again.

switch thing up a little. im guessing youve been doing the same motion for well over a month. Thats fine but an exercise is only as good as the gains its giving you. Best bet would be to change the motion for a few weeks. If your doing seated switch to standing, If standing try getting the last few reps with push-press. Dumbells also a good tool to build the stabalizers. If OHP is something you really want to work on focus on incline presses on chest day. A little more info and i can help you more.

What worked for me is when I was doing military and I was stalling, I switched up to doing push press and I put on 20 pounds on my push press in 2 months.

[quote]MrDan500 wrote:
switch thing up a little. im guessing youve been doing the same motion for well over a month. Thats fine but an exercise is only as good as the gains its giving you. Best bet would be to change the motion for a few weeks. If your doing seated switch to standing, If standing try getting the last few reps with push-press. Dumbells also a good tool to build the stabalizers. If OHP is something you really want to work on focus on incline presses on chest day. A little more info and i can help you more.[/quote]

The first 2 sets I can do with my knees locked out. On #3 and all others, I have to push press. I do them all standing, but I’ll try sitting with the bar and switching to DB presses standing. I’m trying to add as much strength to my 6’2" 185lb frame as possible. I squat before this and add 10 plyo-pushups during my rest between squat sets. I’ve tried getting my pushups in after my OHP’s but it really made no difference. I’ll switch things up a bit. I’ve been on this programming for about 3 months. Basically:

5x6-8 across the board, 1 min rest between sets:
warm up on the treadmill about 10 minutes
BW squats 3x10
frog squats 3x10 similar to this but I hold my toes instead:

med ball plank 3x1 minute
stretch
assisted pullups 3x10
barbell squat/plyo-pushups using boxes
RDL
OHP
barbell curl
flat bench
DB flys
ab stuff to top it off, mostly hanging leg raises with little to no momentum 3x25/ab press 3x10

The programming was pretty good. Gained about 9lbs of muscle. I’ve been progressing across the board except OHP.

push press my man. that’s where it’s at

How often are you attempting top progress? Once a week? Every two weeks…?
Micro-plates are a good option if you’re ready to part with the cash.

ME at least twice a week 4 days apart. I’d love to rock some chains, but I’m at Golds and I dont know if they allow it and the smallest plate is a 2.5lb’er (1.1kg). I’ll ask tonight. They’ll probably say “chains, for what?” and “whats microloading? thats not how you get hawt abz” I feel like I’m Cheatfitting…I mean crossfitting when I push press though.

If your not a fan of push press and are training legs the same day anyway try BB thusters in 4-6 rep rage. Youll get some good extra leg work and i feel that the press on those hits the shoulder better than push press sometimes. This should allow you to use more weight 20-30 lbs. By starting the press when you explode out ot the front squat you really hit the shoulders

I’m at almost exactly the same place at you, and like you, I am having a hard time making progress. I started doing seated presses on the smith machine and bring incline BB presses back into my workout. I think it’s helping…or it was just the combination of normal progress and an extra good day under the bar. If I can add 5 more lbs this weekend, I’ll say it’s helping for sure.

[quote]admbaum wrote:

The first 2 sets I can do with my knees locked out. On #3 and all others, I have to push press. I do them all standing, but I’ll try sitting with the bar and switching to DB presses standing. I’m trying to add as much strength to my 6’2" 185lb frame as possible. I squat before this and add 10 plyo-pushups during my rest between squat sets. I’ve tried getting my pushups in after my OHP’s but it really made no difference.
[/quote]

Priorities: If you’re really trying to improve your shoulders, work them first.

And I forgot to mention push press because I can’t do them. Ceiling’s too low. Dammit :frowning:

The next best thing I’ve found to push press is seated shoulder press from a dead stop. Set the pins up at forehead level and use a bench press grip width.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

The next best thing I’ve found to push press is seated shoulder press from a dead stop. Set the pins up at forehead level and use a bench press grip width.[/quote]

I’ll give that a go and see what happens. I tried standing DB presses and I was shocked to see that I couldnt get as much weight up. I thought I could get 2 60lb’ers going but I had to drop to 2 40’s. Noticed a huge imbalance in my left shoulder. It wasnt going up near as fast as the right. I may stick to the DB presses for now to balance out, but this speaks volumes as to why I’m stalling I think. My right shoulder is compensating for the left with the barbell. Does this make any sense?

[quote]admbaum wrote:
JayPierce wrote:

The next best thing I’ve found to push press is seated shoulder press from a dead stop. Set the pins up at forehead level and use a bench press grip width.

I’ll give that a go and see what happens. I tried standing DB presses and I was shocked to see that I couldnt get as much weight up. I thought I could get 2 60lb’ers going but I had to drop to 2 40’s. Noticed a huge imbalance in my left shoulder. It wasnt going up near as fast as the right. I may stick to the DB presses for now to balance out, but this speaks volumes as to why I’m stalling I think. My right shoulder is compensating for the left with the barbell. Does this make any sense?

[/quote]
I really recommend the push presses if you have a place to do them. Single-armed DB presses for sure, to balance out the shoulders. And lateral raise variations as a finisher.

If you’re willing to work shoulders twice a week, then do the dead stop presses as your first move of the second session.

Don’t do multiple straight sets. Ramp up to an all out top set.

going for ME ramping up DB presses and push presses when I start fatiguing. Also adding in some lateral raises. I’ll post after the work out.

IMO increases twice week is a bit much to be asking of your shoulders. Maybe try reducing the increases to once a week…?

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
IMO increases twice week is a bit much to be asking of your shoulders. Maybe try reducing the increases to once a week…?[/quote]

Its fine if you lift smart. i.e knowing what your shoulders can handle and also doing rehab exercises.