Programs To Suit You

Rather than browse the millions of training programs out there, or make one on a sheet of paper for the tenth thousand time, Im looking to you guys to help me find a program that best suits my body and current lifts.

I’ve been doing WS4SBIII for about a month with decent strength gains for me, But I would like a little more to do, especially in the Arms/Back Department.

My Current Lifts are

Bench 5rm - 195
Squat 5rm - 225
Dead 5rm - 285

Right now im at 194 after some careless college eating, but normally in the summer I’m a very lean 165. Ive been lifting off and on for 2 years with little to no improvement, And I’m curious as to which program would suit me for better gains in strength and mass.

I also eat like a champion but tend to but on more fat than anything else, and its normally pretty clean foods.

I would think that you’d want to do a little something in the leg department. A 225 squat is not much to be satisfied with (even temporarily).

Try looking up the “Big program compilation”

I don’t think you’re at the point where you should be specializing any specific bodypart yet. If you are still set on doing that, though, there are some leg articles I think you should look at.

“Pillars of strength,” “Nitro squat program,” “Limping Series” are some articles that stand out in my mind. Perhas cleaning up your eating a bit would help to.

I’m doing the max effort leg day in the ws4sbIII, and also the DE leg day, and usually some sprints if my legs are feeling alright.

[quote]TattoosNLifting wrote:
Rather than browse the millions of training programs out there, or make one on a sheet of paper for the tenth thousand time, Im looking to you guys to help me find a program that best suits my body and current lifts.

I’ve been doing WS4SBIII for about a month with decent strength gains for me, But I would like a little more to do, especially in the Arms/Back Department.

My Current Lifts are

Bench 5rm - 195
Squat 5rm - 225
Dead 5rm - 285

Right now im at 194 after some careless college eating, but normally in the summer I’m a very lean 165. Ive been lifting off and on for 2 years with little to no improvement, And I’m curious as to which program would suit me for better gains in strength and mass.

I also eat like a champion but tend to but on more fat than anything else, and its normally pretty clean foods.[/quote]

Before you bother with finding the perfect program, you should probably worry about how hard you are actually trying.

Why would you expect any gains from lifting off and on?

And people who tend to put on “more fat than anything else” while bulking are usually just not working hard enough in the gym for your body to actually put on muscle.

Before you worry about programs, worry about actually showing up to the gym consistently and trying hard :-/

[quote]TattoosNLifting wrote:

My Current Lifts are

Bench 5rm - 195
Squat 5rm - 225
Dead 5rm - 285

I also eat like a champion but tend to but on more fat than anything else, and its normally pretty clean foods.[/quote]

The highlighted line right there is some serious cause for concern… Do you actually add weight to the bar each week/do more reps?

Also, what does your diet (and cardio) look like…

You should hvae 2 leg days for sure. A hip dominant and a quad dominant day. Lots of deadlifting and front squatting. I weigh about 5 lbs less than you right now and I was doing 275x10 rom deads and 205x10 front squat, so you should be doing more with your legs. Really push yourself and load up on the leg volume, the rest will move up.

[quote]Tumbles wrote:

Why would you expect any gains from lifting off and on?

And people who tend to put on “more fat than anything else” while bulking are usually just not working hard enough in the gym for your body to actually put on muscle.

Before you worry about programs, worry about actually showing up to the gym consistently and trying hard :-/
[/quote]

Excellent point. I don’t think most serious lifters feel particularly inclined to help people who lift “off and on.” I know when I hear something like that, I usually stop listening. Either do it or don’t.

The rest of this advice is also spot on. Just do the main lifts, do whatever accessory work you feel like, give your “program” a cool accronym if you think it needs one, and go bust your ass.

I will offer this more concrete piece of advice: Rather than looking for novel ways to arrange your exercises, sets, reps, etc…, find creative ways to get geeked before you train so you leave it all in the gym, find creative ways to stick to your eating schedule, find creative ways to manage your time so you get more sleep and have less stress. Get those things taken care of, and most any “program” you attempt will work fine.

I know i have to increase my intensity and change the habits of daily life to accomidate more training. Consistency being key.