T Nation

Programming the TM on Squat

I’ve been doing TTM for about 2 moths now and I have begun to stall. I was going up in weight on squats 10lbs per week the entire time and now I’ve been getting stuck just trying to raise it where im at.

My log has went something like this:
Week 1:
Squat: VD 345 5x5, LD 285, 2X5 and ID 405 1 X 5
Week 2:
Squat VD 355 5x5 (hard but not that bad), LD 300 2X5 ,IT 415 1X4 (didn’t go for 5)
Week 3: Same as week two except I got 415 for 5 reps
Week 4: VD 355 4x5(felt really heavy), LD 295 2x5 (I also did two sets of lunches),
IT 420 1x2 (this felt extremely heavy for some reason, I possibly didn’t set up properly).
So what should I do next? Keep adding weight? repeat the week? Lower the volume? Change program? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I honestly do not have a clue what your talking about.

See if you can figure out if there were any external factors that may have affected your strength: poor diet, extreme work stress, lack of sleep, lifted on a hangover, etc. If you find something, fix it, and repeat the weight next week. It could be that you are simply fatigued and have to reset the weight back; see what happens next week.

[quote]Reed wrote:
I honestly do not have a clue what your talking about.[/quote]

TTM: The Texas Method
VD: Volume Day
LD: Light Day
ID: Intensity Day (I guess).

The program basically looks like this:
Day A (Volume):
5x5 straight sets

Day B (Light):
2x5 at some % of monday (80%?)

Day C (Heavy):
1x5 (Ramping up, of course)

Oh ok lol I have never ran it and all abbreviations were throwing me off bad

With out running the program just looking at how it is laid out I’d say it may be to much volume. I do not respond well to that high of frequency squatting I stall quickly doing so. I have made much better progress on 1-2 days a week squat training.

[quote]Reed wrote:
With out running the program just looking at how it is laid out I’d say it may be to much volume. I do not respond well to that high of frequency squatting I stall quickly doing so. I have made much better progress on 1-2 days a week squat training. [/quote]

I generally agree. As you get stronger, it definitely isn’t really doable. The OP may just be at that limit.

He could try a 3x3 ‘volume’, and 1x3 ‘heavy’ day.

Check The Advanced Texas Method book. It b lays out howbto keep advancing when you become to strong to recover from the standard volume, light and heavy day.

X 2 on the advanced tm book.

Are you guys referring to the e-books on TM by Justin Lascek? Just got 2 by him but haven’t read them yet.

Yep those are the books. They explain a ton of mods you can make to the TM template to get the most out of it. Good Book.

[quote]Re.po wrote:
Yep those are the books. They explain a ton of mods you can make to the TM template to get the most out of it. Good Book.[/quote]

The first thing I saw was a table saying low reps gave strength “with no size” and 12+ gave size “with no strength”, so naturally I sighed and thought it was useless lol I still have them though so I should read through it I guess.

Don’t know much about Justin lascek or how reputable he is but people seem to like him.