Programming Suggestions?

I am looking for a little critique on the program I am currently following. I can’t say whether or not it is working since I am in my first week. Aside from obviously increasing my max Snatch and Clean & Jerk I am really looking to add some weight to my back squat.

My current lifts are:
Snatch: 100kg
Clean & Jerk: 132.5kg
Back Squat: 180kg
Front Squat: 140kg
Push Press: 125kg
Deadlift: 250kg

My body weight is 107kg

I also know that my weakest point in both of my Olympic lifts is extending at the end of the second pull. Put quite simply, I don’t. So I am supplementing pulls to train myself to extend.

The program:

Monday-
5x5 Push Press
5x5 Back Squat
10x3 RDL (This is 3 sets of 10 reps)

Tuesday-
3 Snatch Pull + 2 Snatch using 75% of previous heavy single Snatch. 5 sets
1 Power Clean +1 Power Jerk using 65% of previous heavy single C&J. 10 sets.
100 Abmat Sit-ups

Wednesday- Same as Monday

Thursday-
3 Clean Pull + 2 Clean + 1 Jerk using 75% of previous heavy single C&J. 5 sets.
1 Power Snatch + 1 Overhead Squat using 65% of previous heavy single Snatch. 10 sets.
100 Abmat Sit-ups

Friday- Rest

Saturday-
Heavy single Snatch
Heavy single Clean & Jerk
Heavy double Front Squat

Sunday-Rest

Any comments, questions, concerns and suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Looking at your squat + deadlift numbers it’s clear to see that your posterior chain is strong and legs are weak (comparatively). You aren’t going to clean and jerk much more than 132.5kg with a front squat of 140kg, regardless of your pull. I would switch the wednesday back squats to front squat sets of 3 or 4s.

If your problem is extending then looks like you are doing the right thing by working on pulls and power versions (provided you are good at moving under the bar, if not then I would ditch the powers)

Also what’s up with all the ab mat sit ups? Get a little variation in there! Roll outs, leg raises, pallof presses etc

[quote]CoreyMichael wrote:
I am looking for a little critique on the program I am currently following. I can’t say whether or not it is working since I am in my first week. Aside from obviously increasing my max Snatch and Clean & Jerk I am really looking to add some weight to my back squat.

My current lifts are:
Snatch: 100kg
Clean & Jerk: 132.5kg
Back Squat: 180kg
Front Squat: 140kg
Push Press: 125kg
Deadlift: 250kg

My body weight is 107kg

I also know that my weakest point in both of my Olympic lifts is extending at the end of the second pull. Put quite simply, I don’t. So I am supplementing pulls to train myself to extend.

The program:

Monday-
5x5 Push Press
5x5 Back Squat
10x3 RDL (This is 3 sets of 10 reps)

Tuesday-
3 Snatch Pull + 2 Snatch using 75% of previous heavy single Snatch. 5 sets
1 Power Clean +1 Power Jerk using 65% of previous heavy single C&J. 10 sets.
100 Abmat Sit-ups

Wednesday- Same as Monday

Thursday-
3 Clean Pull + 2 Clean + 1 Jerk using 75% of previous heavy single C&J. 5 sets.
1 Power Snatch + 1 Overhead Squat using 65% of previous heavy single Snatch. 10 sets.
100 Abmat Sit-ups

Friday- Rest

Saturday-
Heavy single Snatch
Heavy single Clean & Jerk
Heavy double Front Squat

Sunday-Rest

Any comments, questions, concerns and suggestions are welcome. Thanks[/quote]

The fact that you can clean almost 100% of your best front squat implies that you are extremely technically efficient at proper Oly lifting form, so that is what I am going to assume in my reply. The alternative is that your front squat just sucks, but I don’t think that’s particularly the case when it is ~80% of your back squat.

1. Move your front squat numbers up. You won’t be able to clean much more no matter what you practice technique wise if you’re already cleaning 100% of your best front squat. This needs to be the big priority, not back squat

2. In my opinion, I think getting the front squat up will start your numbers moving again in the clean by just strengthening your legs and the ability to rack a heavy clean without dumping it forward due to weakness in the front squat. I also am a big proponent of getting under the bar quickly, so I tend to think it’s not so much about extending to the absolute maximum as it is getting under lightning fast. Obviously that changes if your definition of “not extending enough” is leaving half your power in the tank, but most people I talk to have difficulties getting down, not extending. They keep trying to pull the bar higher instead of just getting their body under quicker.

3. It seems to me that focusing energy on pulls will help you get more extension, but I’m not convinced that’s a real problem if you can clean almost 100% of your front squat. That means you need more leg strength. I dunno, just brainstorming here so take it for what it’s worth (not much), especially without a video.

Consider two things 1) Take very light days of technical work on the clean/snatch on Mon/Wed before your strength sessions–the primary focus of this is to get perfectly consistent at precise technique with the big goal of moving your body under the bar as fast as possible. If you are satisfied with your technical proficiency at this point you might not bother doing this, but usually light technical work on a single technical aspect hurts nobody–the more frequently you practice being perfect the more often the perfect rep happens when it counts.

the 2nd thing is perhaps consider taking your Saturday in a Bulgarian style wave approach for the lifts. Instead of hitting just one max single of the comp lifts do several waves up to a max, then start at 70% or so and work up again, then do it a third time. Do this for both C/J and Snatch. a “Max” in this case is a technically proficient max, not a “true” max. In other words, only up to technical failure and without psyching up. This gives you more volume at heavy end and also limits the “hit or miss” reps when technique gets a bit off.

Just food for thought.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

The fact that you can clean almost 100% of your best front squat implies that you are extremely technically efficient at proper Oly lifting form, so that is what I am going to assume in my reply. The alternative is that your front squat just sucks, but I don’t think that’s particularly the case when it is ~80% of your back squat.

1. Move your front squat numbers up. You won’t be able to clean much more no matter what you practice technique wise if you’re already cleaning 100% of your best front squat. This needs to be the big priority, not back squat

2. In my opinion, I think getting the front squat up will start your numbers moving again in the clean by just strengthening your legs and the ability to rack a heavy clean without dumping it forward due to weakness in the front squat. I also am a big proponent of getting under the bar quickly, so I tend to think it’s not so much about extending to the absolute maximum as it is getting under lightning fast. Obviously that changes if your definition of “not extending enough” is leaving half your power in the tank, but most people I talk to have difficulties getting down, not extending. They keep trying to pull the bar higher instead of just getting their body under quicker.

3. It seems to me that focusing energy on pulls will help you get more extension, but I’m not convinced that’s a real problem if you can clean almost 100% of your front squat. That means you need more leg strength. I dunno, just brainstorming here so take it for what it’s worth (not much), especially without a video.

Consider two things 1) Take very light days of technical work on the clean/snatch on Mon/Wed before your strength sessions–the primary focus of this is to get perfectly consistent at precise technique with the big goal of moving your body under the bar as fast as possible. If you are satisfied with your technical proficiency at this point you might not bother doing this, but usually light technical work on a single technical aspect hurts nobody–the more frequently you practice being perfect the more often the perfect rep happens when it counts.

the 2nd thing is perhaps consider taking your Saturday in a Bulgarian style wave approach for the lifts. Instead of hitting just one max single of the comp lifts do several waves up to a max, then start at 70% or so and work up again, then do it a third time. Do this for both C/J and Snatch. a “Max” in this case is a technically proficient max, not a “true” max. In other words, only up to technical failure and without psyching up. This gives you more volume at heavy end and also limits the “hit or miss” reps when technique gets a bit off.

Just food for thought.[/quote]

Excellent post!