T Nation

Programming New Stuff

Work up to 60% of your max.

Do 3x5 reps at 60% on the squat and bench and 1x5 on the dead lift

Then do one more set for as many reps as possible.

Add 5-10lbs per week depending on your experience.

Looks like this:
300lb bencher
Wk 1 180x3x5 180 x AMRAP
Wk 2 190x3x5 190 x AMRAP
Wk 3 200x3x5 200 x AMRAP
Wk 4 210x3x3 210 x AMRAP
Wk 5 220x3x3 220 x AMRAP
Wk 6 230x3x3 230 x AMRAP
Wk 7 240x3x2 240 x AMRAP

...so on and so forth

Adjust rep ranges according to this table:

60-69% - 5 reps
70-79% - 3 reps
80-89% - 2 reps

Once you come to 90% of your max, go ahead and try for a new 1RM that week.

Start the cycle over again based on that max.

Give it a try and see what you think. It's pretty simple.

Somewhat similar to Chad Smith’s juggernaut programming. Start light and utilize AMRAPs (his programming is only AMRAP every 3-4 weeks though).

Did you perform this type of training? What were your thoughts?

I’m actually doing it now and I like it. I’ll post some numbers when I get more cycles in. It’s basically progressive overload w/ an “autoregulation” twist at the end. Juggernaut is very linear and very complex.

The required reps at the various percentages per set I believe allow you to focus on technique on the first three sets (1 set on the DL) while priming your body for the AMRAP. It allows you to get 12+ weeks of work in before testing your max again.

If I have a meet planned, all I would do 4 weeks out is continue like normal but drop the AMRAP and hit singles at the 90-95% range all based on how the weight is moving that particular day, but I would make sure to hit at least 1 rep at 90%.

Just found this thread. The program looks simple and effective. Do you perform all three lifts on different days + acessory work (as a three day program) or are all three movements done in one day?

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
Just found this thread. The program looks simple and effective. Do you perform all three lifts on different days + acessory work (as a three day program) or are all three movements done in one day?[/quote]

Different days.