Programming kroc rows

I added kroc rows 2 cycles ago - basically 5 reps each between my bench sets and then the high rep set at the end. For the last set, I started at 80lb db and 20 reps, which I get about 12-15 and then pause (while holding the weight) and then knocking out the rest in 2-4 reps until I hit 20.

As I progress - should I make my target 22 reps this next cycle and keep incrementing slowly every cycle until something like 40 reps - then adding 5 lbs and starting at 20 again?

Or is there another approach altogether that I should be using?

I like programming this particular exercise like my pushing exercises because I can set PRs with this thing and that makes me happy.

Yeah - I read that, go to complete muscular exhaustion. Doesn’t sound like the typical 5/3/1 approach to things, but it may be in one of the books and I didn’t catch it.

Also, I am one of those skinny, middle aged guys that struggles to recover, so I try not to go to exhaustion too often - once per cycle seems to be a good fit so far for me, although I just have returned to consistent weight training primarily this year, so I have a small data set.

I find taking one set of rows to failure doesn’t have a significant impact on my recovery. It’s probably due to the high rep nature of a Kroc row.

“This is one of the best ways to build upper
back and lat strength. Kroc Rows â?? high
reps (20-40) with the heaviest dumbbell
you can handle â?? are my favorite variation.
These are humbling when you first try
them, but your grip and back strength will
quickly increase. Start off with 1-2 warm-up
sets of 10 reps, then go all-out and see
what you can do. This exercise is great for
the bench press and the deadlift, and it
helped my grip strength tremendously.”

This is from the first 5/3/1 book. I do 2-3 warm up sets and then go for the all out set. Doing this once a week as my main Lat(or pull) movement I have never had any noticeable muscle soreness compared to days where I’m doing 50-60 chins/pull-ups.

All you have to do is assign an arbitrary TM for the movement, basing it on the %'s. Then choose the reps for each set.

I wrote an entire article on programming Kroc rows.

I can’t find that article - is it in your paid forums?

And thanks everyone for the feedback - is seems to be guiding me to try the 2x2x2 format since I appear to have trouble keeping up with what the average lifter can handle.

[quote]bartmann wrote:
I can’t find that article - is it in your paid forums?

And thanks everyone for the feedback - is seems to be guiding me to try the 2x2x2 format since I appear to have trouble keeping up with what the average lifter can handle.[/quote]

Maybe over simplistic but I move them along just by doing 1x15, 1x15+ and when the last set reaches 25 I move up a dumbbell. Only rest the one side as long as it takes to row with the other arm. Actually seems to workout pretty well.