T Nation

Programming Help

Hey guys i am fairly new to lifting and i just started about 9 months ago, i was doing a basic bodybuilding workout for a while then switched over too starting strength. As of now i am 6’2 212 and my lifts are the following…
squat 330 3sets of 5 (still progressing) goal 550
bench 270 3 sets of 5 (stll progressing) 1rm 315 goal 405
standing oh press 165 4 sets of 5 (still progressing) goal 5reps 225
deadlift 440 1 set of 5 goal 600 stalled at 440

it was hard squatting 330 on monday wed and friday however as starting strength requires squatting 3x a week, does anybody have any program that i could follow that would allow me to keep progressing and allow to get past my platue on deadlift?

What’s your current program? Assistance exercises? Age? Diet? When did you switch to starting strength? Do you deload?
So you only deadlift every other training, and only do one set of 5??

Those are some pretty impressive numbers for 9 months lifting.

[quote]grippit wrote:
What’s your current program? Assistance exercises? Age? Diet? When did you switch to starting strength? Do you deload?
So you only deadlift every other training, and only do one set of 5??[/quote]

His current program is Starting Strength, as he said in his original post,

TC: Look into Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program. It has a reduced squatting frequency while still allowing you to progress with all of your lifts. The assistance work in that program should be beneficial as well.

[quote]grippit wrote:
So you only deadlift every other training, and only do one set of 5??[/quote]

Learn the program before commenting please.

OP: As mentioned above, get on a program that will get you to where you want. Even switching to Texas Method or Madcow would help. Yes, 5/3/1 is also an option.

madcow

I’m aware of the program. When I asked about your current program I meant which phase. It seems you’re still doing the first phase of SS: training A, squat/press/DL alternating with training B, squat/bench/DL
As Rip says, when the “freshness of the deadlift wears off” (and it looks like that’s happening) you should switch training B to squat/bench/power clean.

So have you done that? (You said you’ve only been lifting 9 months but switched to SS somewhere during those 9 months, so how long have you been on SS?)

Further progression in the program is alternating the DL in training A with power clean and replacing DL in the original training B with back extensions and chin ups. And not adding any ancillary exercises while you’re still progressing on the main lifts.
Since you’re still progressing with this program you may want to stick with it for a bit longer (unless my interpretation of where you are in the program is incorrect, which is why I originally asked for clarification on this).
5/3/1 is a beautiful program that in my opinion works really nice with a 4x a week frequency, so you could wait a bit until you really stall out on SS and then also up your training frequency when you switch to 5/3/1/.

Anyway, lots of options, good luck

thanks a lot guys for the help i really appreciate it

also my current program is
monday squat heavy bench heavy 10 sets hypertrophy chest 8 sets hypertrophy traps 4 sets abs
weds day heavy squat heavy oh press upper back/rear felt/ back thickness work 12 sets worth 4 sets biceps 4 sets abs
friday (repeat monday)
saturday heavy dead lift, lat and bicep workout 12 sets lats 8 sets biceps 4 sets abs

also my age is 22 years old and my diet is 320 grams protein 650 carbs and 170 fat w/o days and 300 protein 400 carbs 150 fat off days. i also walk at least 5 miles a day

[quote]McCartell22 wrote:
also my age is 22 years old and my diet is 320 grams protein 650 carbs and 170 fat w/o days and 300 protein 400 carbs 150 fat off days. i also walk at least 5 miles a day [/quote]

How are you getting in 300-320 grams of protein and 400-650g carbs?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

also my age is 22 years old and my diet is 320 grams protein 650 carbs and 170 fat w/o days and 300 protein 400 carbs 150 fat off days. i also walk at least 5 miles a day [/quote]

How are you getting in 300-320 grams of protein and 400-650g carbs?[/quote]

That’s easy…

2lbs of Chicken a day - 200g protein
8 Jumbo Eggs- 64g of Protein
2 sccops Whey- 60g of Protein

That’s 320g not even counting what he could be getting from say Rice, Oats, Milk, or Cheeses.

As for Carbs

2 Whole Grain Bagels- 130g- 160g of Carbs
1 cup rice pre cooked size- 160g of Carbs
80g Sugar after Training- 80g of Carbs

That’s 400g Carbs once again not counting from vegetables, milk, or fats he may be eating. This is not much different than what I consume daily. May seem like alot but you split that over 3-4 meals its not much at all.

also my current program is
monday squat heavy bench heavy 10 sets hypertrophy chest 8 sets hypertrophy traps 4 sets abs
weds day heavy squat heavy oh press upper back/rear felt/ back thickness work 12 sets worth 4 sets biceps 4 sets abs
friday (repeat monday)
saturday heavy dead lift, lat and bicep workout 12 sets lats 8 sets biceps 4 sets abs[/quote]

Hmm, so that’s not really SS you’re doing. Hard to comment without knowing much about the sets/reps and specific exercises you’re doing. It looks like you may lack some support/ rotation for the deadlift with this program, which might be why you’re stalling on deadlift. Maybe consider rotating/adding power cleans, back extensions, goodmornings, chin-ups/pullups, etc. Your program is still obviously working for you so maybe a little tweak will be enough.
Good luck

i use oats brown rice and sweet potato for complex carbs and fruit for quick absorbing carbs post workout. protein comes from whey in am and post workout and the rest from chicken. i do not count protein unless its form chicken or whey. and i would do power cleans except my form is awful and i cannot do them nor do i have the flexibility 2 do them

In the book, rip says to start front squatting on wed instead of back… lighter weights will allow better recovery. But your numbers kind of sound like you’re towards the end anyway, so you can try FS or just change programs when your current cycle finishes.

i looked up the texas method, by any chance can any of you guys explain how it works? i was a little confused

There’s an article on here and an ebook out there, so you can check those out, but in a nutshell…

It has 3 days, volume, recovery, and intensity.

Volume is 5x5 on pretty much everything. Obviously this can take a while because it’s still using heavy weights, just not PRs every time. This is the main driver of strength in the program and you only increase weight to improve your intensity day

Assistance is optional on Tuesday and not really recommended

Wednesday is recovery day and has you working somewhere around 70 percent for less volume. This is also technically optional, but recommended and it’s kind of nice going from the LONG, tough volume day to a quick, easy workout

Intensity day is 5RM day and is used mostly to gauge progress, but also strength development.

It’s similar to SS in that you start w/ squat, then do bench or OHP, with other stuff (chins, dead, clean, hypers) following.

Transitioning, you use your final 3x5 max on squat for your new 5RM on intensity day. You should transition bench and OHP when both stall at the same time.