Programming Distances for Hill Sprints

Hi all

Currently iv been doing alactic hill sprints again 5 - 8 sec duration. I have a few different options for hills but the one im on at the moment is aprox 45m -50m .

I have a few sprinting workouts from t nation i want to give a try but i cannot sprint on flat ground plus i love a hill . My question is if the programme calls for a 100m sprint for example how can i adjust this to hills as obviously the hill is going to slow you down so a 15sec sprint could take 25sec depending on gradient .

I just wanted to know if there was a rough way of programming the different distances to accommodate for the hill

Thanks in advance

Aaron

1 Like

Just get a bigger hill, silly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Unless you’re looking to physics this thing out, or start using Pythagoras math, just find a program that calls for 50m sprints (or hill sprints) and adapt it accordingly. Most don’t prescribe a time, they prescribe an effort %… so just go by effort %, if anything.

^You can use a stopwatch to track progress, which I’m sure you know.

1 Like

If you’re really trying to hit specific energy systems with targeted work, I think you’re on the right track measuring with Time.

If a 100m sprint should take around 15 sec, run up the hill for 15 sec and see how far you get. Then when the program says go 100m, just sprint that far.

Like you mentioned, if you’re looking for those specific gains you don’t want to double the work.

1 Like

If you want to train via energy sytems stick to durations. (i) Alactic of 5-8 secs and (ii) anaerobic lactic 15-60 secs. Does`nt matter how far the distance is. However, anything more than 100 up a hill will slip into (ii).

Also depends on why you are sprinting. If it is for a sport the balance of (i) or (ii) will depend on what sport/position and athletic event (100 200 400) etc.
If it is for body composition stick with the recommendations from the likes of CThib.

1 Like

I love hill sprints. My personal thoughts:

• These are athletic-types of training tools. Treat them as such.
  • Vary the length, intensity, rest interval, etc… from workout to workout. Unless you’re training for a very specific race, don’t worry about excelling in an overly specific training protocol.
  • Be creative. Bring a kettlebell and do 10 swings, then sprint up. No KB? Do burpees at the bottom of the hill and sprint up.

Good luck!

1 Like