Programming, Been Sick

So I’ve been sick for one week. Since I didn’t eat a lot and skipped one week of my program, what should I do. Start over, skip a week or keep going on the week I was before ? I’m fairly new to powerlifting so any advice would be nice

It depends on how far into the program you were, what type of program you were running and how bad the sickness was. I’ve had a friend who got sick right after doing the most intense part of a program, took a week off and came back to hit PRs. He was running a 3 month program and only missed the last 2 weeks so he already got through the majority of the program. It would make more sense to start over if you miss the second or third week of a short three week program.

You’ll probably have to go in and adjust by feel. Work up to where you left off but if you feel any performance drop then just go with something lighter for the rest of the week to get your conditioning back up and continue the program the following week.

Ya most of it just depends on how you feel and how you recovered from being sick, its not like somehow you are physically weaker from the week off. Its just your nervous system is weakened from being sick and needs time to get back to normal.

I am in the same boat I got some Munps going on and look like the white version of the nutty professor. I am going to start 519 once I’m ready to handle heavier weights. I am clear to work tomorrow apparently but this sickness leaves me sore from just walking or shoveling for a few minutes. Hoping I am back to training in a few days.

Thank you all. I’m going to continue from where I was and if it feel too heavy I will take the week to acclimate myself to all the volume and workload !

It usually takes me a workout or two before I’m back at baseline. Last time I was sick, I just did Bench and Squat at 70 percent for 5x5 and Deads for 3x5 at 70 percent with plenty of rest between sets and even that whooped my ass. But the workout after that was business as usual.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Ya most of it just depends on how you feel and how you recovered from being sick, its not like somehow you are physically weaker from the week off. Its just your nervous system is weakened from being sick and needs time to get back to normal.[/quote]

This, and

you can always take a week to re-prime yourself and then go into your program. In this case, for that first week back try doing 5-6 sessions in a week. In my case after some time off I did a 5 day week. 3 squat/bench and 2 dead. On each day work up to ONE top set for about 5 reps but start light. Stop after your top set or maybe unload some weight and do slightly more work but not too much. The point isn’t PRs, but just to get your body adapted to weight that should be “normal” to you. Next session follow the same rules but increase weight some.

After the week evaluate your condition and go back into your program at an appropriate stage.