T Nation

Program Transition

I posted this over on the Over-35 board and later realized that it should be over here.
The question is regarding a new program after following the WSSB program for over 6 months. A bit background first: Age - 37, former wrestler then triathlete (yep, I ran a lot), years training 3+ with weights after a long layoff from my wrestling days. I started back with WSSB because I’m just plain weak (BP - 250, DL - 325, Strict Chins - 12 up from 155 / 225 / 6) and have gotten pretty good results with this program. I’m not currently involved with any athletics or strength sports outside of chasing my kids (3 of them under the age of 5) although I plan on getting back into a grappling sport once I have more free time (i.e. can bring the kids to class with me).

Based on this my goals are: gain more strength and perhaps a little size (currently 5’11" @195 up from 178 at ~12%BF) and maintain general fitness so that I’m ready to go once I have the time. I’ve thought about a 5x5 type program or the Waterbury Method but I’m not sure if I’m ready with my limited background. I want to get strong but I understand that this takes time, so I’m in no rush, and don’t want to burn out.

The only reason that I’m considering changing from WSSB is that it appears to be more geared towards athletes and I’d like to take advantage of not having to run/condition/practice as prescribed in the program. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

You don’t look like much of a newbie, if I’m reading correctly, so I think your biggest mistake is not giving yourself enough credit. The way I read your background is that you have been lifting 3 years now. That’s longer than most people lift in their entire lives.

Try it out. I think you’ll be fine with it. If not, do something else. Oh, and don’t be afraid to be a little sore.

Thanks StarkMan.

I noticed that you’re in MD also. Do you know of any push/pull meets in the area? I’ve done a few searches but haven’t found any info on the web. I just read about the Tactical Strength Challenge that took place up in NJ last weekend. Something like that might be fun too.

Thanks again and I’ll keep you posted on how the Waterbury Method goes.