Program/Training While Cutting

Beginning my next cut in febuary with my friend whose cutting for a bodybuilding show, he trains for hypertrophy, and I train for strength.

I’ve been running nSuns 5/3/1 6 day variant for the past 2 months and will continue to use it till I cut (Have loved the workouts and seen huge strength increases) This will be my first cut while training for strength and am trying to see what others do to keep strength while cutting (training wise not nutruition).

Should I keep running the same program but decrease volume? Or should I stop running a program and just go off of feel (still training heavy)? Any tips/suggestions are appreciated.

Background:
Start weight 1 1/2 years ago 300 (S:~250 B:~185 D:435)
Current weight 205 (S:385+ B:255+ D:465+)

Why would ‘stop running a program’ make sense? What does that have to do with cutting? Unless you’re cutting down to bodybuilding condition, a cut doesn’t have to make you weaker. I’ve gone through phases where I’ve actually gotten stronger while getting leaner.

How much weight do you plan to cut, and over what period of time? Assuming it’s not a drastic amount, I’d just keep running the program you’re on if you like it. Don’t decrease volume, that’s not necessary. Make sure you keep taking in appropriate calories surrounding your training, don’t train fasted or anything like that to cut weight. That’s a bad strategy for a powerlifter.

1 Like

If something built muscle it will keep muscle.

That said, I’m no fan of 531 for hypertrophy but if you liked it why change things because you’ll be eating a little less?

S

1 Like

I ran a bastardized DC/5/3/1 program years ago and it was fun and effective.

5/3/1 bench
DC shoulders/tris/back thickness

5/3/1 deads
DC quads
SS leg curls

5/3/1 OHP
DC chest/triceps/back width

5/3/1 squat
DC hams
SS quads

Also I’d do FSL for max reps on the 5/3/1 to get another work set.

Rotate the DC movements and focus on progression on the big movements.

I just bumped a year old thread…I’m sorry lol

1 Like