T Nation

Program to Supplement Physical Therapy

Hey guys,

I'm going to physical therapy twice a week to repair an impingement in my right shoulder. The PT gave me a home routine to perform daily (is this healthy?) of mostly theraband exercises. The routine takes about 45 minutes to complete and exclusively works my shoulder. Should I supplement the workout with an ab/back routine?

I got the idea from Eric Cressey's 'Smart from the Start' article: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/smart_from_the_start

I was thinking of supplementing the PT routine with Ian King's 'Awesome Abs' program and some leg/back exercises on rotating days. Is this a good idea? If so, I'd appreciate some advice on leg/back exercises to do, etc. Or just advice on what you would do in my situation. Thanks.

If I were in your position, I would train the rest of my body as I normally would. Obviously your main concern is getting your shoulder healthy, but if you can train your legs for example without any aggravation to your shoulder, then train them as you would any other time. I would be light and easy with any sort of upper body stuff, just to ensure no developing imbalances and re-aggravation to your shoulder though. Just my opinion, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Performing PT every day is pretty normal so long as you aren't experiencing any pain FROM the PT exercises (soreness is fine, pain is not). I would ask your PT if any exercises are contraindicated and then pick a basic routine that avoids those exercises you are told to avoid. If it doesn't aggravate your shoulder condition keep at it. As your shoulder returns to health and you move to a normal upper body routine you may want to keep some of your PT exercises in your routine as a warm up or active rest.

You have a PT, why not ask them what you should/shouldn't be doing?