Program to Increase Weighted Chin-Ups

K, but actually, thinking about it differently, if I get 4 sets of 9 reps instead of 4 sets of 7 reps because I allowed myself to rest more - would I actually be getting stronger?

Maybe I would be getting stronger, but my recovery between sets is the thing that has plateaued - not my actual strength? I think I read somewhere that a bigger/stronger muscle takes more time to recover between sets than a smaller/weaker one?

And some of the biggest guys in my gym seem to take 10 minutes between sets, chatting away and playing on their phones - even when they’re doing relatively high rep sets.

I dunno, man. Just do some pull ups and see what happens. Quit overthinking it.

Strong guys take the rest they need.

If your goal is strength, you shouldn’t be limiting the performance of a set by not resting long enough.

See Rest interval between sets in strength training - PubMed

I know people judge people who take long rests. But guess what? Resting longer lets you do more work.

I think my experiment with keeping the weight the same and increasing volume is failing. I’m getting burnt out.

I think the failing point is mid-way through the rep, which would indicate weak biceps?

Other people have told me to try using the same weight and using a pronated grip (I’m currently using a neutral grip), because the pronated grip is harder, so when you return to do neutral grip it should feel easier and you should be able to bang out more reps with the same weight.

I’m also trying to do fairly high weight low-rep biceps curls as accessory work to strengthen the biceps as my biceps may be the weak link in the chain?

Are these approaches valid?

If not what would you suggest?

What if you had a heavier day where you’d work up to a heavy 3-5 rm with various grips,putting bands instead of weight,various pauses ect and a lighter day where you’d pick something from prilepin’s chart and do?

I don’t know anyone that does sth similar though.It’s just a completely random idea I had

Just alternate through three different set/rep schemes. 10 sets of 3 with strict 1 min rest is a great one to try

You need to drop the weight.

Try this: add appropriate assistance work.

Phase 1 - 3 weeks
Monday: Chins 5 reps EMOM until you cant hit 5 (going longer each week)
Wednesdays: Kroc rows rest/pause
Friday: Pull ups 100 total reps (trying to reduce sets each week)

Phase 2 - 3 weeks
Monday; Chins 5xMAX (more reps each week)
Wednesday: DB Rows 50 reps
Friday: Dead hang Pull ups 3x10 (increase pause each week)

Phase 3 - 3 weeks
Monday: Chins 5x5 - weighted
Wednesday: T-bar row 5x5
Friday: pull ups 5x5

Leave a rep or three in the tank each time.