T Nation

Program Suggestions, 2 or 3 Days/wk

as i got new job…i do not know how to set up my training=/ anyone have some experience on how to squeze some short workouts (40 min tops ) and how to fit exercises in these kind of week ?

day 1 - no training
day 2 - training
day 3 - training
day 4 - no tranining
day 5 - no training
day 6 - no training
day 7 - training (not always)

my idea
day 2 - squat + bench + bdw. chin ups between all sets of squats and bench
day 3 - power cleans + chest dumbbell work ( weak off chest)
day 7 - deadlifts + standing press (pull ups between sets of presses )

Get a home gym. Expensive, but all you really need is a rack/squat stands, platform, bar, and some plates.

Really try to find time. You have 24 hours in a day, unless your home life is that demanding and you are working 15 hours a day, you will make time if it is a priority.

If these two things aren’t working I would do:

day 2 - Power Snatch + bench + bdw. chin ups between all sets of squats and bench
day 3 - Squat + chest dumbbell work ( weak off chest)
day 7 - deadlifts + standing press (pull ups between sets of presses )

The rationale is it would give you an extra day to recover from pulls before squatting, and power snatches will give you all the benefits of a power clean, but won’t leave you as fatigued the next day for squats as power cleans would. Plus they are much more bad ass.

And I can’t catch a power clean properly because my triceps are tight.

Check out 5/3/1, Jim’s got a lot of good stuff about training twice a week. That way if you have time on day 7 (you said sometimes you do) you can train, and if not, then it’s fine because you got in both sessions that week. Currently I’m running this variation from his 5/3/1 for football book (using this during rugby season).

day 1
Squat 5/3/1
Bench 5/3/1
chins 3 sets of max reps
dips 3 sets of max reps

day 2
Deadlift 5/3/1
Press 5/3/1
GHR 3 sets of max reps
decline situps 3 sets of max reps

This has been working well for me. When you get to the point that you can do 3x20 on an assistance exercise, add weight.

Another option would be the 5/3/1 full body routine. Jim wrote an article about it on this site.

Another option of 5,3,1 2x a week would be this:

week1:

day1:
5,3,1 squat, 5x10 bench, 5x10 row, abs.

day2:
5,3,1 OHpress, 5x10 deads, chins, rear delts.

week2:

day1:
5,3,1 bench: 5x10 squat, 5x10 row, abs.

day2:
5,3,1 deads, 5x10 OHpress, chins, rear delts.

This what I am doing at the moment and so far it seems like a good routine and it can also be used
3x a week.

5/3/1 ALWAYS the answer, don’t let saucebags tell you otherwise

When I’m in a situation where I can only train two back-to-back days a week, I do squats/pulling one day and deadlifts/pressing the other day.

thanks for replys i will probably do so;)