Program Review? (Yes I Included a Background)

You might want to check out Joe Defranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards (1, 2, or 3) or Strong Bastard 911, then.

1 Like

Dude, you are going to toil in bottom of the barrel mediocrity for a long time. In this thread alone you’ve decided that 14 different things either won’t work, or might work. All based on your opinions after 1.5 years of training and believing you’re some neurotype. Might as well go read your horoscope for the day and see if a certain training plan is outlined in there as well.

5 Likes

Ok then, il just do it.

Get a log book and do Paul’s program for a year. What gets measured gets improved. Have faith in the program and the process. Only change things if you have nagging injuries. And might be as simple as changing grip or degrees of elevation.

1 Like

I wish someone would’ve wrote a program like this when I was starting out. The one thing I would add is do banded facepulls or band pull aparts at home on off days. That’s it.

1 Like

I’m with you there. I spent the first year of my lifting life chasing different magic programs until I realized I needed to just buckle down.

1 Like

Just do this over and over.

Upper Body 1

Exercise Sets Reps
A Bench Press 5 8
B Chest Supported Row 5 8
C Dip (bodyweight only) 3 max
D Chin-Up (bodyweight only). Substitute Lat Pulldown for 3 x 10 if needed. 3 max

Lower Body 1

Exercise Sets Reps
A Squat 5 10
B Deadlift 3 6
C Lunge 50/leg
D Standing Calf Raise 3 15

Upper Body 2

Exercise Sets Reps
A Incline Press 5 8
B Chest Supported Row 5 8
C Cable Lateral Raise 3 12
D Triceps Pushdown 3 12
E Barbell Curl 3 12

Lower Body 2

Exercise Sets Reps
A Squat 5 5
B Leg Curl 4 10
C Leg Press 3 15
D Lunge 50/leg
E Seated Calf Raise 3 15

Heres basic nutritional advice

1. Always start with a meat and nut, or meat and dark fruit breakfast.

http://www.strengthsensei.com/the-meat-and-nut-breakfast/

1. Learn to enjoy black coffee in the morning with breakfast and as a pre-workout.
  1. No more dairy or limit dairy to a dessert

http://www.lifestylebypoliquin.com/Lifestyle/LifestylebyPoliquin/TabId/203/PostId/21/Dairy-Dare-ye.aspx

1. The darker the green vegetable the better it is for you. The darker the berry the better it is for you. Examples of dark green vegetables: spinach, kale, broccoli, brussell sprouts, etc… Examples of dark berries: blueberries, cherries, acai berries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc…

2. Stay away from dried fruit it is the equivalent of candy. Drying fruit concentrates sugars.

3. Drink a lot of water (2 glasses at each meal). You will adjust.

4. Green Tea and Yerba mate are excellent teas for fat loss.

5. Limit processed carbohydrates: breads, pastas, etc… opt instead for sweet potatoes, yams, and beets. Rice is better than grains. Quinoa is great!

6. For salad dressings oil based dressings are best (ie. olive oil and balsamic vinegar)

7. If you are going to cheat and have a cheat meal limit it to Saturday or Friday. Sunday is the start of the week and it makes Mondays easier.

8. When you drink alcohol that is vegetable or plant based is a better choice: potato vodka (Kettle One), Tequila (agave plant) and Gin (Juniper berries).

9. Stay away from juice (it is liquid candy)

10. No soda, pop or fizzy pre-workouts. Diet soda is not an option either. Soda, pop and pre-workouts are not good for the protective lining of your esophagus.

11. When you get a craving try a spoon full of peanut butter or a spoon full of whip cream.

12. Don’t feel guilty if you slip up just get back in the right direction. The goal is health.

13. When you limit your carbohydrates you must increase your good fat intake (fish oil, coconut oil, olive oil and cla)

1. Cook with coconut oil.

2. Use a protein powder post workout for muscle recovery.

3. Try not to eat 2.5 to 3 hours before bed.

4. Make Yourself More Alkaline: Put Lime in Your Water

The more alkaline you are, the more anti-catabolic you are and the less cortisol you’ll produce. Having a healthy pH that is more alkaline is critical because without the correct pH blood level, the body’s enzymes can’t function, negatively impacting protein synthesis. In fact, studies show that low pH levels lead to diminished protein building, a major concern for anyone striving for high energy and a lean physique. The simplest way to shift your pH up towards alkaline is to always drink water with lime in it. Lemon is okay if lime is not available.

1. Meal frequency is not an issue.

2. Increase fibre

3 Likes

From Poliquin

Thanks alot.
I’ve been logging every workout I have done since my beginning.

Is that bench dips or regular dips? I don’t have regular dip handles in my home gym.
I also can’t do cable lateral raise, is dumbbell enough?
And bodyweight lunge?

Dips then do incline pushups
Lateral raises do lean away lateral raises and body weight lunges are a walking bodyweight lunge.

So I can do bench dips?

Dude they are one of the most dangerous exercises. Master challenging pushups or go to a gym to do dips or a park. Just get to work doing the program posted from Paul. That’s 30 years of in the trenches experience from him.

Wait I’m confused, originally you said to throw out the dips and do incline push ups instead?
I though you meant do dips and then inline push ups, so I wasn’t sure which dips you were talking about.
So now I should only do the incline push ups or regular push ups inplace of the dips?

Last response from me. Bench dips are dangerous. Do regular dips or buy a set of blast straps or gymnastic rings to do dips. If you wont buy equipment go to a park playground and do proper dips. If that’s out of the question then just do pushups. I’m out.

If you can’t do dips, do push-ups. Simple as that.
Bench dips aren’t dangerous. Unless YOU get joint pain from doing them.

Joe Defranco’s SB911 (as someone mentioned above) would fit the bill perfectly. IF you stick to it. Plenty of exercise variation, while still focusing on progressive overload.

40-60 minute sessions is plenty. I’m shooting for 45 minutes these days.

nickj_777 posted an excellent upper/lower split. Go do that.
No - you can’t change anything or mix it with another routine.

1 Like

Thank you

There’s nothing dangerous about bench dips. I know what coach said this and I disagree with him completely. People can make a case that any movement is dangerous with certain verbiage.

If bench dips hurt, don’t do them. But for 99% of the training people they are fine and perfectly safe.

2 Likes

Wow best formatting in forum post I’ve ever seen

In the real driver of muscle growth workout, should I follow the rep changes every week as well as the rest period changes? Or just stick with 8 reps, 3 minute rest and when I get to 12 up the weight?