T Nation

Program Reccomendation

Alright. So this upcoming year I’ll be attending a local university to play football. Problem is, I’m nowhere near big enough or strong enough to play at the collegiate level. I plan on playing D-Line, and at my weight and strength level, I’ll get pushed around.

A poor diet with not enough meals or calories and illnesses have pushed my bodyweight from 230 to 200 lbs. Obviously, my maxes have gone down considerably since then. But I’m tired of making excuses. Here are my stats:

Height: 5’ 11"
Weight: 200 lbs.
40 Time: 5.18 (Hand Timed)
Bench: 205 lbs. x 1 (Was 245 lbs. at a bodyweight of 230)
Squat: 345 lbs. x 1 (Was 375 lbs. at a bodyweight of 230)
Powerclean: 205 lbs. x 1 (Was 235 lbs. at a bodyweight of 230)
Incline Bench Press: 185 lbs. x 1 (Was 210 lbs. at a bodyweight of 230)

The reasoning behind this topic is I’m confused as to what program to pick. I know I need to get bigger and faster. I know I need to eat clean, but keep the calories and protein up. Is WS4SB a good choice here? What about 5/3/1? Any and all help is appreciated.

Madcow’s 5x5 intermediate. Do the powerclean’s instead of rows. Do chinups on wednesday. Don’t change anything, and heed the advice of starting light (it IS important) – the spreadsheet works very well. You could try 5/3/1, but as a relative beginner you may benefit more from the increased frequency of madcow’s. I say try both, and see how you respond. :slight_smile: Give madcow’s 2 months, then 5/3/1 two months.

I don’t really want to recommend WS4SB because the articles that discuss it don’t go into progression, unfortunately; and that is a very important part of any program.

And eat more – but make it “good stuff”: i.e. protein in the form of steak, chicken, tuna or some powder supplement (whey, caseine, whatever. If you don’t know: just get whey.)

Thanks for the recommendation. I searched around and it seems like you can’t find the spreadsheet on the internet anymore. The geocities site which had it is no longer up. Is there anywhere else I can find it?

[quote]twolvez wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I searched around and it seems like you can’t find the spreadsheet on the internet anymore. The geocities site which had it is no longer up. Is there anywhere else I can find it?[/quote]

Ah, that’s right. Geoshitties is gone now.

Someone took the liberty of mirroring the site. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot. I’ll take a look at it. Any articles on here on nutrition that I should specifically be taking a look at?

Anything by Berardi tends to be good, but this and the articles linked to in the first paragraph of it will get you on the right track. To summarize them: eat a lot. :slight_smile: Good luck.

you could work off a 5x5 template like goochadamg recommends or the 5/3/1 template, just make sure you make every rep count by accelerating every repetions, even on the easier lighter sets. also guide ur workouts depending on how your body feels. dont restrict yourself to a 5x5 template, somedays ull hit that perfectly, other days u might not “feel strong” enough to hit it, others u might need more stimulation. let your body guide your workouts. rest, eat, take ur healthy fats.