T Nation

Program Questions: Abs Every Day?

I’m on a program that has me in the gym 4 days a week alternating legs/shoulders and arms/chest, then doing abs and cardio at home two days a week. I’ve heard though that your abs can be worked everyday.

I’m a naturally large guy going for a slimmer look with more definition, and my abs are my weakest point…so my question is,

Should I be working my abs everyday or is that just going to add more bulk to my gut and not serve to add more definition until I nix the fat?

Thanks guys

Possibly a dumb question, but are the abs a weak point because they are underdeveloped or because they are hidden under a layer of fat?

Generally, the abs are muscle, so the same general rules will apply… though often people hit them a bit differently than other muscles.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Possibly a dumb question, but are the abs a weak point because they are underdeveloped or because they are hidden under a layer of fat?

Generally, the abs are muscle, so the same general rules will apply… though often people hit them a bit differently than other muscles.[/quote]

Yeah abs are still a muscle like any other. Just because you do a ton of crunches it wont slim your waist down, it will just give you a large waist especially if you work it with weights. The abs will hypertrophy and you will have a large midsection. If you want to trim your waist then diet down and run. Preferably some form of HIIT (thats what i prefer)

Not that you shouldn’t hit them at all but do not go overboard like every day. maybe once or twice a week like your other muscle groups.

Although if you use compound moves and Olympic style lifts in your program you might not even need to hit them directly(a.k.a crunches). For instance, if you can do pullups pretty well then i challenge you to add weight to them by holding like a ten or twenty pound dumbell in between your ankles while your doing the pullups. We’ll see how your abs feel the next day. I personally did this yesterday and my abs are sore today.

You’d be suprised the muscles you hit when you do big compound moves…

[quote]Deserteaglle wrote:
I’m on a program that has me in the gym 4 days a week alternating legs/shoulders and arms/chest, then doing abs and cardio at home two days a week. I’ve heard though that your abs can be worked everyday.

I’m a naturally large guy going for a slimmer look with more definition, and my abs are my weakest point…so my question is,

Should I be working my abs everyday or is that just going to add more bulk to my gut and not serve to add more definition until I nix the fat?

Thanks guys[/quote]

Do you have a back?

Do you plan on doing anything for that?

You have great replies so far but I will add yes I am a fan of working abs every w/o session. Sure as hell aint going to slim you up (diet man) but by doing them briefly but hard every session and not killing them any one session they wont have a negative effect on any trining day as the core is used in all sessions if I kill them one day the next lifting session will suffer. I mix it up different exercsies different loading from session to session hit it hard for 2-4 sets call it a day

Phill

Just adding bulk was what I was worried about. About a year and a half ago I was going to a trainer and doing some killer workouts along with crunches and leglifts everyday before work. My stomach got bigger but the definition wasn’t there. However, at the time I paid zero attention to my diet, so I wondered if my extremely clean diet now would allow me to reap the benefits of an everyday ab workout.

To the questions about my fat and my back:

Yes, I’m thich all over, there’s definitely alot of muscle under this layer of fat, and the fat is only around my gut and love handle area.

From the waist down there’s no excess fat, and from the bottom of my chest (top half of my back) up it looks like I’m in good shape, I guess it all just slid to the middle.lol

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
Deserteaglle wrote:

Thanks guys

Do you have a back?

Do you plan on doing anything for that?
[/quote]

Oh yeah, now I get what you mean. Arms/chest day is also back day. I’m workin’ on it.

Just adding bulk was what I was worried about. About a year and a half ago I was going to a trainer and doing some killer workouts along with crunches and leglifts everyday before work. My stomach got bigger but the definition wasn’t there. However, at the time I paid zero attention to my diet, so I wondered if my extremely diet now would allow me to reap the benefits of an everyday ab workout.

Yes, I’m thich all over, there’s definitely alot of muscle under this layer of fat, and the fat is only around my gut and love handle area.

From the waist down there’s no excess fat, and from the bottom of my chest (top half of my back) up it looks like I’m in good shape, I guess it all just slid to the middle.lol[/quote]

Some may disagree with this, but I have yet to see a single person who’s rectus abdominus was “too big”. All muscles get bigger with proper training, but the “abs” will never wind up as 6 inch deep sections. They just don’t grow like that.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Deserteaglle wrote:
Just adding bulk was what I was worried about. About a year and a half ago I was going to a trainer and doing some killer workouts along with crunches and leglifts everyday before work. My stomach got bigger but the definition wasn’t there. However, at the time I paid zero attention to my diet, so I wondered if my extremely diet now would allow me to reap the benefits of an everyday ab workout.

From the waist down there’s no excess fat, and from the bottom of my chest (top half of my back) up it looks like I’m in good shape, I guess it all just slid to the middle.lol

Some may disagree with this, but I have yet to see a single person who’s rectus abdominus was “too big”. All muscles get bigger with proper training, but the “abs” will never wind up as 6 inch deep sections. They just don’t grow like that.[/quote]

Whenever I flex my stomach it sticks out further than my chest. You know what I mean? It’s not all fat either, it just looks like one big muscle.

I will throw my 2 cents in.

Several years ago before I had started weight training, I was big on doing pushups and situps. This goes against everything I have learned since then, BUT, this is what I did.

Every day (every single day) I would do 200 pushups, and 300-500 situps. If I couldn’t do all the reps in one go, I would wait a minute and do more, until I had completed all my reps.

Over a matter of months, I went from 40 pushups per set, to 80 in one set. Started at about 80 situps per set, and went to over 300.

I was also heavy in endurance sports.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Some may disagree with this, but I have yet to see a single person who’s rectus abdominus was “too big”. All muscles get bigger with proper training, but the “abs” will never wind up as 6 inch deep sections. They just don’t grow like that.[/quote]

I agree completely. I think CT touched on this not too long ago.

CT’s training me and I’m doing abs once a week, relatively heavy exercises paired with “repping-out” exercises. I do 4 pairs of 2 super-setted exercises, but that’s just what he has outlined for me specifically.

I think it would be a better idea to ask this question in one of the coach’s locker rooms. I think they’d have more reliable answers. Not that some guys here won’t, but it can easily get mixed in with a bunch of bad advice and could be difficult to weed out.

[quote]dillinger wrote:

Several years ago before I had started weight training, I was big on doing pushups and situps. This goes against everything I have learned since then, BUT, this is what I did.

Every day (every single day) I would do 200 pushups, and 300-500 situps. If I couldn’t do all the reps in one go, I would wait a minute and do more, until I had completed all my reps.

Over a matter of months, I went from 40 pushups per set, to 80 in one set. Started at about 80 situps per set, and went to over 300.

I was also heavy in endurance sports.[/quote]

Sooooo…

I’m not getting what you’re saying. Was there more definition or were you just able to do more situps?

dillinger wrote:

I was also heavy in endurance sports.

Sooooo…

I’m not getting what you’re saying. Was there more definition or were you just able to do more situps?

[/quote]
I was cut to begin with, but I did notice an improvement.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that in my experiences I was fine to work them every day.

[quote]dillinger wrote:

Basically what I’m trying to say is that in my experiences I was fine to work them every day.[/quote]

Well that was my point, I’m not cut…looking to get there.

dillinger wrote:

Basically what I’m trying to say is that in my experiences I was fine to work them every day.

Well that was my point, I’m not cut…looking to get there.[/quote]

Then like was said you need to work on the diet not the situps etc. diet will be 95% of what gets you CUT.

Phill