Program Question: Bench Pattern?

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
mertdawg wrote:
kobe4life08 wrote:
i really dont understand your approach.

Monday: Bench or dumbell bench press 3 x 8-12. Warm up, then use the same weight for 3 sets. If you can get 12 reps on the FIRST set, then use a higher weight the next week but continue your other 2 sets with the same weight. You might get 12, 10 and 8 reps for example

Friday: Bench 4 sets of 3-6. Again, if you can do 6 on your first set it is a sign to increase weight the next week, but do all 4 sets at the same weight. You might get 6, 5, 5, 4

Week 2: add 1 set to monday and friday workout

Week 3: add 1 more set to monday and friday workout.

Weeks 4-6

Monday: Bench 2 x 8-12

Friday: Bench 3 x 2-3

Again, continue adding weight if you hit 12 reps with your first set on monday an 3 reps with your first set on friday.

so its a 6 week cycle?

i do 6 weeks then deload for a week and hten do the whole cycle over again?[/quote]

No, you “peak” during the second 3 weeks by reducing volume. During the last 2 weeks try to add 10 pounds to your 3 x 3 (even if you only get 2 reps).

I don’t believe in deloading before a max. The goal would be to do 3 x 3 at your current 1 rep max on week 6. You can then start over, and reduce the weights 15 pounds to start your next cycle, or you can do one final week (week 7) to test a max and then start over.