Program Insight, Advice Greatly Appreciated

Hypertrophy and strength potentiate each other. Greater cross sectional area of muscle = greater potential force output. Increasing your numbers allows you to increase workload over time i.e. progressively overload, providing an environment conducive to hypertrophy.

Usually it’s better to take a “if it ain’t broke don’t fuck around with it” approach. If something is working for you e.g. making gains in muscle and/or strength consistently then tinkering with it is a waste. When something stops working or stalls is when it’s time to have a think about why and what should be changed to continue progress.

As for periodization probably best to just get on an existing well established program. You can learn by studying the program/s as you do them, research on your own and then when you’re ready write up your own programs.

Kinda meh in a lot of categories. A basic Push/Pull/Legs split or something may be better for your goals.

Variation/Specificity: Probably too much exercise variation. Kinda a “jack of all trades master of none kinda deal” that is holding back your progress on Squat/Bench/Deadlift. Covering all your bases/angles is admirable but there’s a time and place. However alternating every week or two is too often to build decent skill/strength and allow time for adaptions to occur. Probably better off sticking to something for at least a month.

e.g. personally I’ll incline DB press for a meso cycle or two (2 months) and then switch it up to Weighted Dips for the next two months to train that decline angle and emphasize the triceps/delts. Take the time and get really strong at your chosen assistance/accessory movements and let those gains carryover to your main lift. Then when it get’s stale/stalls switch and repeat.

Frequency on the main lifts is not helping at all e.g. Squat. You do it infrequently for two workouts then, if I’m following how you do the workouts correctly, stop squatting completely for an extended period of time while doing Zerchers i.e. an exercise with a different movement pattern. You’re having to relearn the movement every time you come back.

Just Back Squat. Git gud at the movement pattern, build some skill in it with frequent practice and this will translate into not having a poor squat. If you need to do Zerchers as assistance/accessory throw them in after Back Squat.

Overload: Sticking to the same rep schemes and thus volume/workload per training “week” means you rely on upping the weight to overload and stimulate growth/strength. Inefficient progress to say to least. Arduous and slow more like. Consistent gains are hard to come by this way or dudes would be linearly progressing and benching 1000lbs all over the place within a few years.

1 Like