Program Ideas

First off, I have no idea where else to pose this question. I am currently in the “off season” for rugby, and I do not know which program, rep scheme, whatever to do. I will be doing some strongman training on the weekends (I did some before rugby started), and I expect this to help out with rugby.

However, I do not know which program or just general scheme I should follow. I am looking to increase athleticism and size during this off season. I would like to get stronger and more powerful and over all bigger.

So I guess my question is, what programs/schemes would you suggest? I have done Wendler’s 5/3/1 before, but I did not enjoy it. It is a good program for overall strength gain, but I just felt something was lacking (although it is a really good program when I am in-season).

Any suggestions you guys have? By the way, I will be doing sprinting and conditioning during the week as well.

I would say my training log is a good place to get a general idea for your inquiry, as well as offering a great perspective on strongman training/increasing athletic capacity.

To answer the question here, though, I can say that following something like a 5/3/1 program or any strength building regime is a great foundation and hallmark for what a strongman/athlete needs to build the mold. I’d find a decent powerlifting program, or build a program based off of knowledge of strength training to get on your feet. Key things to incorporate are feeding your nervous system with power and strength (low rep, 3-6+ sets), building MUSCLE (5-10+ reps, 2-4 sets/supersets/drop sets etc.), and conditioning workouts that dabble around building endurance and technique. That is what should consist of your gym training during the weeks.

As for your sprinting and conditioning during the week, that’s something that can very well hinder your strongman and rugby performance in that when you perform max effort exercises that were mentioned in your post, it sucks alot out of your body and leaves you in need of recovery. In my opinion, I’d try and knock out the conditioning and sprinting WITH your strongman training, as it would be most conducive to achieving your goals.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
I would say my training log is a good place to get a general idea for your inquiry, as well as offering a great perspective on strongman training/increasing athletic capacity.

To answer the question here, though, I can say that following something like a 5/3/1 program or any strength building regime is a great foundation and hallmark for what a strongman/athlete needs to build the mold. I’d find a decent powerlifting program, or build a program based off of knowledge of strength training to get on your feet. Key things to incorporate are feeding your nervous system with power and strength (low rep, 3-6+ sets), building MUSCLE (5-10+ reps, 2-4 sets/supersets/drop sets etc.), and conditioning workouts that dabble around building endurance and technique. That is what should consist of your gym training during the weeks.

As for your sprinting and conditioning during the week, that’s something that can very well hinder your strongman and rugby performance in that when you perform max effort exercises that were mentioned in your post, it sucks alot out of your body and leaves you in need of recovery. In my opinion, I’d try and knock out the conditioning and sprinting WITH your strongman training, as it would be most conducive to achieving your goals.[/quote]

On the topic of sprinting, I will not have too much problem with that. I won’t be sprinting too much, maybe twice a week; however, to keep my fitness level up, I will need some running. Luckily, since I hate running in general, long distance is out of the question, and I will focus on lower volume.

However, I will definitely check out your log. Thank you for the information.